Boy’s volleyball team battles lack of experience

Ready+Set+Go%21+Freshman+Samuel+Kessinger%2C+%2324%2C+gets+ready+to+serve+the+ball.+The+Altoona+team+played+against+Carlisle+on+Monday%2C+April+23.+

Amy Dean

Ready Set Go! Freshman Samuel Kessinger, #24, gets ready to serve the ball. The Altoona team played against Carlisle on Monday, April 23.

Myah Lear, Reporter

Athletes and coaches are excited about their volleyball season this year. They are currently at 1-7 in wins to losses. They have 15 different players, which is historically one of the smallest volleyball teams that head coach John Saboe has coached.

Both coaches and students believe they can always improve how they play.

“I would say that we can always improve. To play the game at its highest level and achieve the goals of being both a District and State Champion, we have to constantly improve our skills and develop our teamwork and team chemistry,” Saboe said.

“As a team we can just keep working… and playing together well. Individually [we] keep working harder and just do better,” senior Jamen McCabe said.

Students have expressed that they think volleyball has had a good impact on them this year.

“It definitely has a great impact on us. It brings us together as a family because we love to play the sport, and it’s such a great atmosphere with all the guys. It’s a very loving atmosphere,” freshman Caleb Fries said.

Players have said that playing during COVID-19 is a struggle, but that they have found ways to power through and play.

“It’s definitely a struggle having our masks on on the court all the time, and it’s hard to communicate as the masks make it hard to hear. We are still doing the best we possibly can,” freshman Noah Fries said.

Coaches have said that there are strengths as well as weaknesses within the team.

“Our greatest weakness this season is our lack of experience. We are such a young team in both age and in volleyball experience. Our greatest strength is the attitude of the athletes. The guys on the team are such a hard working group who are putting in lots of time and growing in the game. It is awesome to see,”Saboe said.

There are ways the coaches interact with the team to teach them how to work better together and get better at winning the game.

“We are constantly working to build the concept of team and how important it is to realize how teamwork builds success and the need to rely on each other to help find that success,” Saboe said.

Athletes have come up with ways to help themselves stay encouraged during a game so that they can keep playing and trying to win.

“I just remember that whenever I make a mistake there’s always the next ball and there’s always a way to better myself at the next ball,” C. Fries said.

Both coaches and athletes have made memories on the team they say they will always remember.

“I will definitely not forget the bus rides. Bus rides are always a fun time. We always have a bunch of funny moments,” C. Fries said.

Coaches believe that volleyball has become an important part of the students and their lives.

“I feel volleyball has an outstanding impact on the lives of the guys. The opportunity to develop friendships that sometimes last a lifetime and go through experiences that they will relive [for] the rest of their lives is such a great chance for any student,” Saboe said. “For me, it’s the chance to be able to pass on the game that I love and watch the team grow and develop over the course of the season and oftentimes years.”

The volleyball players have expressed that one person they will not forget is Saboe.

“I will always remember Coach Saboe because he is great at keeping us motivated and showing us his knowledge that he has about the game,” C. Fries said. “I will never forget his speeches and his post-game talks because they inspire me so much.”

There are things that coaches look forward to during the volleyball season.

“I’m really looking forward to this group of young men growing into a team and seeing how much their skills improve over the course of the season,” Saboe said.