Seniors give advice to underclassmen

Ready+to+move+on%3F+Seniors+stand+at+Mansion+Park+after+theyve+released+their+balloons.+During+Senior+Week+seniors+celebrated+their+final+year+in+high+school+with+a+balloon+release+at+Senior+Sunrise.+

Myah Lear

Ready to move on? Seniors stand at Mansion Park after they’ve released their balloons. During Senior Week seniors celebrated their final year in high school with a balloon release at Senior Sunrise.

Myah Lear, Reporter

Many students come into the school with no idea of how their high school years will go. Seniors this year have knowledge they have gained throughout the years they can use to give advice to the underclassman and students starting in the high school next year.

Senior Alex Thaler

Q: What is one thing you wish you knew when you started high school?

A: It is completely okay to leave high school with a different friend group than you had coming in. If I hadn’t switched my friends around in high school, I would have never met the wonderful people I call my best friends today.

Q: What is one piece of advice that you could give to underclassmen?

A: Get involved in extracurriculars. I met almost all of my friends from things I did outside of my classes. Even if you did not get involved in clubs in junior high, it is not too late. I am a member of Mock Trial, Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science and Foreign Language Club, and all of those clubs are newly available to students starting in ninth grade!

Q: How did your elementary and junior high years prepare you for high school?

A: I did not have to change how I studied in high school because I developed good study skills in junior high. I just had to study more because I was taking more difficult classes and had a lot more information to study. A lot of how I learn is the same now, just a bit more refined.

Q: Is there anything else that you would like to tell the incoming underclassman?

A: Good luck! Walk on the right side of the bridge, walk fast in the hallways, ask your teachers for help if you need it and have fun!

Senior Mackenzie Shaw

A: That the school isn’t as confusing as it looks.

A: Don’t try to fit into a crowd just to make friends. If you be yourself, friends will come to you.

A: I went to four different elementary schools, and it helped me learn how to make friends quickly and in the junior high I found my group of friends that are still with me now.

A: Do what you enjoy. If you want to join a club or class then do it. Don’t let people control your life.

Senior Rylie Whitaker

A: Not everyone has the same bad year. A lot of people say that junior year is the worst but for me it was sophomore year, so you just have to take it and roll with the punches.

A: It’s not that serious. One bad grade isn’t going to kill you and missing a couple days of school is fine. High school is one of the last times in your life that you have a little responsibility, so take this time and use it to your advantage.

A: There’s so much drama in your early years, but after you get out of elementary and junior high school you kind of figure out who you’re friends with and who you want to keep in your life. I think spending that time figuring out not only your friends but yourself helps you grow as a person.

A: Just have fun. It seems tough right now but it does get easier and if you spend your entire time stressed out, then what’s the point? Give yourself time and really be yourself regardless of what everyone else is doing.

Senior Kyle Eckenrode

A: I wish I knew how fast it would actually go.

A: One piece of advice that I would give to underclassmen is to cherish the time you have in high school.

A: The increase in homework did help me somewhat, but my previous teachers were a major help in getting me prepared for the future and setting those expectations.

A: Try to stay focused on the positive things going on in your life, your family and friends. It’s too easy to get caught up in the negativity of everyday life and others around you. Be very meticulous on who you choose to associate yourself with and don’t accept harmful behavior from anyone.

Senior Sydney Wilfong

A: I wish I knew that it is okay to choose your friends over school. I know that there have been moments where I have picked finishing a school project or homework assignment over hanging out with my friends, and if I could go back, I would have chosen to be with my friends instead. High school goes by so quickly, and it’s important to enjoy and experience any moment you can with your friends. Next thing you know, they will all be graduating and moving on to bigger and better things.

A: In any class you take, whether it is a core class or an elective, I would advise to actively ask questions. I think students tend to not want to ask many questions during a class in fear of being yelled at or being judged, but it’s something you really shouldn’t care about. If you feel confused, you’re not going to understand unless you ask questions and participate during class.

A: I think since I had so much fun during my elementary and junior high years, I tried to keep that same mindset when I went into high school as well. My elementary and junior high years prepared me in knowing who I am as a person and what type of people I gravitate toward. I’m still very close with a lot of my friends I had from elementary school and junior high too.

A: Stay calm! It’s not the end of the world if you answer a question incorrectly, miss a due date or fail a test. Sure, you have to take things seriously, but not to the point that you’re so stressed about school that you’re only getting a few hours of sleep each night. Enjoy high school all that you can before it’s too late!

Senior Jack Hatch

A: One thing I wish I knew would be to always enjoy myself and to stop caring what people think. I definitely learned that from high school but it would have made it a lot easier.

A: I wish someone would have told me as an underclassmen to enjoy the little things like eating lunch with your friends or having those small talks with your teachers.

A: Junior high and elementary school really weren’t that different from high school besides the workload. I think I figured out who I fit in with and that helped figure a lot out going forward.

A: I think I would tell the underclassmen that you don’t realize how fast it sneaks up on you so actually try in school and enjoy it.