Students, staff discuss opinions on clear backpacks

Eli Peteuil

Walking the day away Junior Abby Milliron walks out of school sporting a clear backpack. She gathered her belongings and headed home.

Eli Peteuil, Reporter

In an email sent in Aug. 2021, the district announced that all students, sixth-twelfth grade, would be required to use a clear backpack. This policy started at the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year. The clear backpack policy and searching students daily are both efforts to increase school safety.

Administration decided last year they wanted to search all students upon entry to the building for safety reasons. 

“In order for us to do that in an efficient and timely way, we had to speed up the process of searching bags,” Principal Andrew Neely said. “By going to a clear backpack, it makes it much faster whenever we’re bringing students into the school; that is the entire reason why we went to the clear backpacks.”

Despite numerous opinions, timeliness is the prime reason for this new policy. 

“We want to make sure everyone has the opportunity to come here and learn, and that can only happen if you have a safe and secure environment,” Neely said. 

The teachers and staff checking students upon entry to the building in the morning, mostly agree that clear backpacks are effective. 

“I think it’s a quick way for teachers to see what’s being brought into the school,” physics teacher Jason Geis said. 

Most teachers believe checking bags is a good policy.

“Administration has done research, and I know they are taking steps to make it as safe as they can for the student body,” gym teacher Thomas Palfey said.

Students’ opinions; however, contradict the teachers’ opinions. Most students either do not understand the reasoning behind the clear backpack policy or just flat out disagree with it.

“The backpacks are useless. They still check my binder, and I have to go through the metal detectors,” sophomore Alexis Dougherty said. 

Many students believe the clear backpacks are useless because students still have Chromebook cases and binders and go through metal detectors. There are students who understand the policy but still disagree with it. 

“I do understand why we have the clear backpacks; I get it’s easier to check the bags for security reasons,” junior Delaney Imler said.  “Although I understand, it’s a little annoying because no one gets to pick their own backpack. Binders, books and Chromebooks are also difficult to put in the backpacks; they stick together. There also isn’t much privacy for your stuff. Overall, the clear backpack can be irritating, but there isn’t much we can do or change, and I understand that it is for the safety of our school, students and staff.”