ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR TUESDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2021

Attention All:  AAHS Student Council is supporting the Foundation for Life at UPMC Altoona Hospital by selling Breast Cancer Awareness pins for the last 2 weeks in October.  Please see a student council member or the student store or Mrs. McAleer in A312 or Mrs. Hogan in B318 to purchase a $1 pin to benefit the Foundation for Life.

Time is running out!  Have you participated in the fall Horseshoe Yearbook survey?  We want to hear from you.  English teachers have shared the link on their Google classrooms, the address was listed with the MLTV show last week or you can find the link at the top of the Mountain Echo.  See Mrs. Vanish with questions.

Attention Astronomy Club:  We had a great night at Haunted Fort Roberdeau!   Today after school, celebrate with Mr. Krug and your friends in the Planetarium as we enjoy popcorn, an iced coffee bar, and a presentation on Close Encounters of the 4th-7th Kinds.

Students who helped with the Haunted Fort are free, while club members who did not help only need to pay $2.00 to attend.  The party runs from 2:50-4:30PM this afternoon.  Hope to see you there!

Attention Students:  The Maniacs are sponsoring a Halloween door decorating contest and we want YOU to get involved!  This can be for reporting rooms or any class period.  Teachers received an email with a link to a Google form to send in a picture of the door.  Doors will be judged on creativity, effort and originality.  Winning room gets a breakfast or pizza party!  The form needs to be filled out by Oct. 20 to be considered.  Let’s see how many SPOOKTACULAR entries we can get!

Attention Students:  The Maniacs will be sponsoring a monthly dress up theme for school spirit.  This month’s theme is Halloween Costumes set for Thursday Oct 28.  Nothing vulgar, suggestive, or against school dress code, and no full masks please.  The Maniacs will pick some random winners for a FREE PIZZA courtesy of Mr. Neely.  So remember, Halloween costumes Thursday, Oct 28.

Attention 9th grade students:  Do you maintain an 85% GPA or better?  Do you have a strong attendance record?  Do you have a positive attitude, a strong work ethic, and a desire to pursue post-secondary education, especially as a first-generation college student?  Are you interested in working with a mentor and receiving up to $7500 of financial assistance for post-secondary education after graduation?  If so, Project SOAR may be for you!  If you want more information or are interested in applying, please stop into B120 or email Mrs. Dumm at [email protected].

Attention Students:  We have several universities that will be set up during lunches this week.  UPJ will be set up today, Carlow University will be set up tomorrow, and the Navy will be set up this Thursday, October 21.  Be sure to stop by the table between the two cafeterias to visit the representatives for more information.

Attention Students: “Do you want to learn a new game, roll some dice, play a trading card game, or meet new friends?  The first meeting of Computer Club and Games Club will be on Friday, October 22nd.  We will begin after school and end at 4:30 p.m. in room B109.  You may bring your own game along or play one that we have in the room.  If you have any questions please contact Mr. Frailey or Mr. Harber.  We hope to see you for a great time!”

Attention Students:  UPMC Altoona Family Physicians is offering an essay contest for students grades 10 through 12.  Please stop by the counseling office to get the information needed if you are interested in doing this.  DEADLINE IS DECEMBER 6.

Attention Seniors:  If you are planning on attending Juniata College please see your counselor BEFORE November 15 for a scholarship opportunity.  If you have any questions, please stop by the counseling office.

Anyone interested in joining the National Art Honor Society should see one of the Art teachers for an application.  Applicants must have earned an A in all Art classes taken at the High School and an overall GPA of an 86%.  Applications are due Friday, October 22nd.

Attention Juniors and Seniors:  Due to a supply shortage with Claysburg Pizza, the Claysburg Stromboli Fundraiser benefiting the 2022 Prom has been changed.  Order forms and money are now due on Wednesday, October 20th.  The orders will now be delivered to the AAHS on WEDNESDAY, November 3rd.  Please contact Mrs. Harris or Mr. Dumm for more information.

Attention Students:  A representative from Alleghany College will be set up during lunches on Friday, October 22nd.  Please feel free to stop at their table to get more information on what they have to offer after graduation.