Students express feelings about marking period one

Bryana Ayala

Shhh Students spread around to work in library. Connor Chywski brings his classes to the library on Thursdays to read and work on their journals.

Bryana Ayala, Reporter

The first marking period of the 2021-2022 school year is coming to a finish Oct. 28. As the last few days come to a close, students express how they’ve felt about the year so far.

After almost a year and a half of online learning, students and staff returned face to face. Students changed from online learning to in-person learning. Many expressed their smooth transition to being back.

“I like it a lot better than being at home, I feel like I can actually learn. At home, I just got distracted really easily,” senior Nathianel Carnell said, “Here I can ask questions and just communicate a lot better.”

People have been looking forward to coming back to school for various reasons. Students express how much easier it is for them academically when there is a teacher right in front of them that can help. Others voice their excitement at being able to see their friends everyday.

“There are people I talk to in-school, and I don’t out of school, so I would never talk to them,” Carnell said, “Now I have better communication with them, and I’m not losing the opportunity to talk to them.”

Some students have mentioned that the chance to be in school again has improved their grades and productivity. Others have said that it has negatively impacted their lives.

“I feel a little burnt out,” freshmen Cara Bolvin said. “I went from online to coming back, so it was a lot all at once.”

As the first marking period comes to an end, many evaluate how they see the rest of the year going. Several students report having high expectations for the rest of the year. Others are worried about some issues continuing into the year. 

“I feel optimistic. I feel like it’s gonna be a good year,” math teacher Natalie Trimmer said, “I feel like it’s a big adjustment for students and teachers to remember what it’s like before as far as expectations, homework and pacing and things like that, but I feel like we’re moving in the right direction.”