Kline shares love of music

You+got+me+beggin+Carolyn+Kline+holds+up+her+sign+at+a+Maroon+5+concert.+She+went+to+the+event+to+see+her+favorite+artist%2C+Adam+Levine.+

Courtesy of Carolyn Kline

You got me beggin’ Carolyn Kline holds up her sign at a Maroon 5 concert. She went to the event to see her favorite artist, Adam Levine.

Trey Boore, Reporter

For Carolyne Kline’s students, many can agree that music is a big part of her day, which she normally has playing when they walk into class. Each day it’s something new and gives the students a taste of what she loves. 

I find it hard to work without some music on. I have so many good memories from concerts that I’ve gone to or musicals. I also played in the band in high school and played piano growing up, so music is a huge part of my life,” Kline said. 

It has impacted her life throughout the years in several different ways. It hasn’t always just been in the classroom where Kline loves her music. 

“My mom played the organ for our church for about 60 years, and myself and some of my siblings also played the church organ as teenagers for mass. Working here at AASD, my work buddy, Steve Oswalt, and I used to sing all the time in the halls although he’s much better than me. We also played in several teacher talent shows together,” Kline said. 

She loves many different genres ranging from classic 80s rock to modern pop. It’s difficult for her to pick just one favorite song as the times are always changing. 

“Oh my gosh, that is too hard. I guess I have to go with Springsteen here. Either ‘Born to Run’ (circa 1975) or ‘Jungleland’, both by Bruce Springsteen. Why, because I was the absolute biggest Springsteen fan in high school in the 80s. He’s all over my yearbook; he was my first ever concert at Three Rivers Stadium for the Born in the USA tour, and Born to Run got him on the cover of Time magazine as ‘Man of the Year’. Jungleland because it has an amazing piano solo, and I play piano,” Kline said. 

Kline thanks her family members for her taste in music over the years. 

“Probably have to give some credit to my older brothers who played LPs of 70s and early 80s rock. Later, my interest in musicals started with seeing the Phantom of the Opera in Toronto and Les Miserables at State College,” Kline said. 

With an extensive taste in music, and a wide variety of genres, Kline has been to many concerts featuring; Pink Floyd, Shawn Mendes, Rush, the Who, Boston, Phil Collins, John Cougar, Rusted Root, Eric Johnson, Pat Benatar, Steve Miller Band and Hootie and the Blowfish. She has also seen Bruce Springsteen and Maroon 5, three times each. Though, out of all of those she still holds one artist at her number one spot along with some runner-ups. 

“Adam Levine from Maroon 5, of course! He still stands in my classroom. However, I also like Elton John, Ed Sheeran, Billy Joel, Adele, Alicia Keys, Journey, Matchbox 20 and Queen,” Kline said. 

As a social studies teacher, Mountain Lion Maniac adviser, and a winner of the annual CARE award. Kline uses her love for music to spread positivity throughout the day to her students.