Shearer joins Mountain Echo staff

Lincoln Frank, Guest Writer

Abigail Shearer is a freshman member of the Mountain Echo newspaper. She became interested in publications after she was told about it during her time at the junior high school.

In seventh grade, she became interested in the prospect of joining the school newspaper. This was due to it being recommended by people she knew.

“My sister [the current editor in chief] kept telling me how great the class was and eventually I decided to try it out,” Said Shearer.

Shearer enjoys writing, as it provides her with the opportunity to express her opinions towards certain subjects.

My favorite writing is opinion because I can get my opinion out there with no jugement,” Shearer said.

In order to join the school newspaper, Shearer went to the Livewire [junior high newspaper] adviser.

“I talked to Mr. Clouser, and he knew my sister because she was in the news writing class before me. That’s how I joined,” Shearer said.

She has also made several friends throughout her time in publications by building relationships with them over her time in the classes.

I made a few friends. We started off a little distant but through the years of us being together we got closer,” Shearer said.

Shearer does plan on staying involved in publications during the rest of her time in school; however, she does not plan to use her skills in news writing in her future career. 

I want to be a Mental Health Technician (MHT) because when I was in a difficult time in my life they are the ones who helped me, and I want to help others,” Shearer said.