Zimmerer kicks off final softball year 

Kirstyn Hood, Guest Writer

This year, senior Madison Zimmerer entered her tenth year playing softball. Throughout the years, she faced obstacles but has overcome them all. After being inspired by her family to play, she has found her passion. 

Her mom is her idol and has impacted her life. 

“My mom [is my idol] because she’s very do what you want, be yourself, don’t let anyone tell you to not be yourself,” Zimmerer said. 

A few years ago Zimmerer experienced an encounter with a coach and some bullies causing her to go back into her shell. Thanks to her interest in publications she managed to find her way back out. 

“Yearbook has definitely changed me, not forcing me to be social, but you have to interview people. You have to do all these things with random people you don’t know, so that’s definitely helped me become more social,” Zimmerer said.

Struggling to deal with her anxiety creates a challenge, but being in softball as well publications has helped her to get through it. 

“Two, three years ago it would’ve been a different story, but for now, right now I manage [anxiety] it a lot more than I used too,” Zimmerer said.

Junior Victoria VanKlaveren plays on the team with Zimmerer. 

“Maddy is the type of person that is caring and doesn’t give up on anything. She is very head strong and is very positive. She’s not the type of person to just brush anyone off; she’s there for anyone and everyone,” VanKlaveren said. 

Zimmerer’s favorite part of softball and what she will miss the most is the bus rides. 

“We sat together and shared some funny childhood stories, and I just remember laughing so hard I started to wheeze … They are always so much fun and there usually isn’t a single person, unless they’re sleeping,  that isn’t having fun,” Zimmerer said. 

Zimmerer gives advice for students. 

“Go for it; you only live once. Make the most out of your life, and try even if you fail, oh well, it’s not that big of a deal, just keep trying,” Zimmerer said. 

Coming towards the final season of Zimmerer’s high school softball career, she is happy with the way things are coming to an end.