Sophomore cheerleader shares passion for cheerleading

Charlie Kephart, Guest Writer

The cheerleading squad is made up of 32 girls and Aleah Layton is just one of them. Layton is a sophomore cheerleader, making this year her second year on the squad. 

“I did it for fifth and sixth grade and then ninth and tenth grade so four years,” Layton said. 

Layton’s interest in being a cheerleader peaked in elementary school and her love for Friday night lights has evolved throughout her high school journey. 

“I had done it in elementary school, and I really love cheering on Friday nights and being with my friends,” Layton said.

Even though Friday night football games are over. Layton will be continuing to cheer at other events. 

“We cheer at basketball games and wrestling meets,” Layton said.

Layton loves all the activities that come along with being on the high school’s cheers team. 

“Just doing the cheers, stunting and bringing school spirit,” Layton said. 

Layton also loves her squad and has built relationships through cheerleading, both competitively and on the regular school squad. 

“I love being with my friends,” Layton said. 

The school has a competition cheer team. Layton feels lucky enough to be a part of both teams. 

“The competition team involves you in a lot harder stunts, dancing and jumps. School cheer is a lot easier and a slow kind of pace. In competition, you work a lot harder and try and hit a lot higher skill stunts,” Layton said. 

Even though Layton is very dedicated to her athletics, she still learns to make time for other extracurricular activities. Layton enjoys activities such as art and painting, watching Netflix and hanging out with her friends and family.