Indoor silks to take the floor

Indoor+Silks+practice+in+the+science+common%2C+preparing+for+their+first+competition+in+January.+

Madalyn Miller

Indoor Silks practice in the science common, preparing for their first competition in January.

Madalyn Miller, Guest Reporter

On March 12, 2022 the  Indoor Silk Squad  will be hosting a twirling competition at the Altoona Area Junior  High School Gymnasium.  In addition to hosting, the indoor squad will also be performing. Captain Ashley Smith and Co-Captain Gabrielle McClellan made up the routine. The squad practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 – 8 p.m. 

“It is a serious commitment, just have fun with it. Don’t take it too seriously, but don’t goof off every two seconds, like we gotta get stuff done,” Smith said. 

The two captains are making a four  minute routine to a mixture of classic rock songs which they will be performing at all of their competitions during the season. The March 12 competition will be their third and final competition of the season. 

“It’s our routine and we like to make it up and it is unique,  especially senior year with being captain and co-captain, we get to make it how we want it.” Smith said.  

As hosts of the competition, the squad, along with the help of parent volunteers ,will be responsible for setting up and tearing down. There will also be   a concession stand providing food and drinks for the participants and spectators.

“I think it will be fun,” McClellan said. 

The indoor silks squad get to perform things they don’t get to do on the football field. By doing indoor silks they can showcase many of their talents and new skills they have learned over practice.  They also get to use equipment like swing flags and rifles in the routine. 

“I think that the best part of indoor silks is spending time with the other team members and experiencing being part of a team that surrounds a sport I love,” 9th grader Andrea Slusser said. 

Even if the indoor silk squad doesn’t win at every competition, they all know they tried their very best.