• January 10There are formal senior photos on Jan. 16 from 3-5 in the open cafeteria

• January 10There will be a blood drive on Jan. 31

• January 4Jan. 14 is group picture day for the yearbook

• January 4Applications for Girls Who Code will open in mid January

• December 19Congratulations to Mitch Lawhead and Gage Hill for their college signing today.

Homecoming King and Queen Announced

Matt+Hartman+and+Isabella+Zavalanski+wait+outside+the+auditorium.+The+couple+ran+for+Homecoming+together+representing+boys%27+baseball+and+girls%27+softball.+The+couple+won+Homecoming+Queen+and+King.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming King and Queen Announced

Matt Hartman and Isabella Zavalanski wait outside the auditorium. The couple ran for Homecoming together representing boys' baseball and girls' softball. The couple won Homecoming Queen and King.

Jenna Walters

Jenna Walters

Jenna Walters

Miranda Wertz, Reporter

After a long week of games, skits and fun, a king and queen represent the school. Isabella Zavalanski and Matthew Hartman took Homecoming Queen and King this past week at Mansion Park.

Zavalanski and Hartman won overall on skit night, after performing a jail-break dance routine titled Izzy’s Inmates.

“We were all dressed up as inmates, and Matt was the parole officer. We were all bored in jail; Matt came across and fell asleep in his chair. I took his keys and I unlocked everyone else’s [jail cells]. We were all running around, he got me, and we fell in love,” Homecoming Queen Isabella Zavalanski said.

Zavalanski represented  girls’ softball while Hartman represented baseball. Zavalanski has been playing with her friends since fourth grade.

“I’ve been playing since my PonyTail League. Being with the same girls has been a really good bonding experience; practices are like hanging out with friends,” Zavalanski said.

The props, costumes, concepts and preparation are all very timely during the weeks leading up to Homecoming.

“The props took the longest. I had help from my mom and the sign shop. Matt helped cut them out on the bandsaw, and I put the names on them with the vinyl,” Zavalanski said.

Although the week was stressful, Zavalanski managed to look at the positives with the help of her friends.

“It was very very stressful but also really fun. You get to represent your club, and you get attention for a week. We got to all dress up in the same things and take pictures everyday,” Zavalanski said.

Zavalanski was overall shocked to win Homecoming Queen.

“I didn’t think I was going to win at all. After they said my name [I was thinking] what the heck. My mouth just dropped,” Zavalanski said.

Being in the limelight for a week comes with pros and cons.

“Thank you for voting me in to be your queen. I would just say to be nice to everyone because it’s very stressful that week. Judging each other, being rude and accusing people of things is not the way it should be,” Zavalanski said.

About the Writer
Miranda Wertz, Reporter

I am Miranda, a student at Altoona Area High School. I'm 18 years old and enjoy sunsets, tea and dancing. My favorite style of writing is poems. I aspire...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Homecoming King and Queen Announced”

1. McKenzie Quirin on October 29th, 2018 2:09 pm

This was a great story covering the new king and queen of the school. It covers the preparations the queen took for running and also covered why the queen represented softball while including her friends as well.

2. Kaly Ansman on October 29th, 2018 2:11 pm

You had such great quotes, girl. I love that for you.

3. Robert Ferrell on October 29th, 2018 2:15 pm

This is a great story that looks into the work that the candidates do to in order to win the rights of King and Queen. It also shows how much it really means to the winners.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Homecoming King and Queen Announced

Features

Suorins cause uproar

• Homecoming King and Queen Announced

Features

Big Brothers and Big Sisters group shapes youth

• Homecoming King and Queen Announced

Features

Reporter seeks updates on building construction

• Homecoming King and Queen Announced

Features

Student council experiences big apple

• Homecoming King and Queen Announced

Features

Speech team heads to competition

• Homecoming King and Queen Announced

Features

French film engages learners

• Homecoming King and Queen Announced

Features

Students, clubs raise money for turkey fun

• Homecoming King and Queen Announced

Features

Attaboy makes school rock

• Homecoming King and Queen Announced

Features

Musicians march out of marching season with last game

• Homecoming King and Queen Announced

Features

Principal McGinnis shares love of job

Homecoming King and Queen Announced