New COVID procedures for Disney trip

Band+director+Larry+Detwiler+talks+about+the+plan+for+Disney+trip.+Detwiler+discussed+the+plan+for+upcoming+trip+to+the+fine+arts+department.+

Myah Lear

Band director Larry Detwiler talks about the plan for Disney trip. Detwiler discussed the plan for upcoming trip to the fine arts department.

Maddie Cowfer, Reporter

Due to COVID-19, the procedures for the Disney trip for April  have changed from previous years. The school has come up with new procedures to help keep all students, staff and chaperones safe.

Through April 27 to May 2, the music and drama department will be traveling to Disney World. 

“The COVID-19 procedures are to give us a guideline so that everyone is basically on the same page before we leave. We’re not going in with the expectation that we’re going to have problems with COVID-19, it’s just a safeguard. Before we leave, we know exactly what’s going to happen, so if somebody shows symptoms on the way down here [Disney],  there is a plan of exactly how we’re going to deal with it, ” band director Larry Detwiler said. 

Regardless of vaccination status, it is recommended that students should have no less than 30 facemasks with them. 

“The only time they would have to wear facemasks is if it’s required by one of the groups we’re working with. If somebody that’s vaccinated would show symptoms, then they have to mask for five days just like would at school. Those are the times it will be required,” Detwiler said. 

Any person who shows symptoms will follow quarantine guidelines in designated rooms at the hotel.

“If you were to test positive on the way down, we would get you off of transportation as fast as possible and quarantine you while we’re down there. Same thing while we’re down or on the way home. It depends on when it shows and we’ll get them away from the group as quickly as possible and quarantine them until we can get a test,” Detwiler said. 

In the event the trip would be canceled, travel insurance has been purchased for recovering some funds.  

“At this point, the only reason the trip would be canceled would be if Disney says they’re closed or if the numbers would absolutely go through the roof,” Detwiler said. 

Some students have decided to wear masks in the days leading up to the trip to prevent them from having to quarantine during the trip. 

I feel like the procedures could ruin the trip if it comes to people having to miss out due to showing symptoms. I have decided to wear a mask in the few weeks leading up to the trip to better my chances of not having to get quarantined while on the trip,” junior Abigail Gensamer said. 

Due to COVID-19 the Disney trip will be a little different than it normally would be. 

“Personally, I wish that we didn’t have to wear the masks and have the procedures and just go back to normal like we were years ago, but I do understand the situation. I respect the procedures. They are in places so we can stay healthy and hopefully have the best possible trip,” Gensamer said. 

Despite all the COVID-19 procedures, students get the opportunity to spend four days in Disney with their friends. 

“I still think we will all have a good time because it is still an amazing opportunity to represent the school on such a big scale. We are all very passionate about what we do so I don’t think that we would let the stricter procedures get to us because they are in place for our health and safety,” Gensamer said.