The effects music had on my 2021

Mykenzi Doran, Reporter

Growing up, music has always been important to me. So important that I now play three different instruments, and I’m avidly continuing to better myself as a musician, so I can go on and play more in my life.

Although I play music daily in the school’s concert band and practice often outside of school, I cannot get enough of it and the different genres there are. Most of these albums were not made and produced last year, but these are the top five albums to describe my year, how they affected me and how I used them to bond with family and friends all year round. Everyone should go listen to them, even if you don’t typically like the genre – try something new!

5: Fine Line – Harry Styles
To start off, “Fine Line” is and always has been a go to pop rock album since it came out in 2019. It was released on Dec. 13 and was produced by Jeff Bhasker, Kid Harpoon, Tyler Johnson, Greg Krustin and Sammy Witte. Since it’s come out, I’ve made tons of memories with these songs playing, and they all remind me of a ton of different situations. One of my favorite memories would have to be from over the summer when I was going to get ice cream at Ritchey’s Dairy and practically screaming songs like “Canyon Moon”, “Cherry”, and “Adore you” with Emma and Sophia Feigh. I listen to this album whenever I want to look at things more positively.

4: Dookie – Green Day
Released on Feb. 1, 1994, “Dookie” is just one of those pop punk classics that you always revisit. It was produced by the band and Rob Cavallo. This is actually one of the few albums I have a physical copy of because I don’t use my CDs too often, but I still play it now and then. Along with “Kerplunk”, my mom gave me these CDs she’s had for a while now, and it’s something that me and her can bond over because this is the kind of music she listened to in high school. I listen to this album when I’m on a trip and get homesick.

3: Nevermind – Nirvana
“Nevermind” by Nirvana is another classic that one always has to revisit. However, this album is actually more of a grunge album. It was released on Sept. 24, 1991 and was produced by not only the band, but also by Butch Vig. This album is another album that has helped me bond with my friends and family. The songs in this album are also more popular out of all of the alternative music I’ve discussed so far, one song in particular being “Smells Like Teen Spirit”, which has been covered by many other artists and groups such as Malia J, Miley Cyrus, and many others. I listen to the songs from this album when I’m missing my close friends.

2: Without a Moral Compass – Abstentious
Another album, “Without a Moral Compass” has impacted me in a special way because of its origins and how local it is. It was released on May 21, 2021 and I’m friends with the bass player/creator, Noah Keller. I absolutely could not wait for this album to come out. The album was produced by Jace Ebersole and is a pop punk genre beauty. Throughout the summer, I listened to this album on loop all thanks to Spotify and because of that it reminds me of that time in my life even through the fall, winter and spring. I listen to this album whenever I miss my close friends or when I miss the warmer months in Pa.

1: One X – Three Days Grace
This album is something special to me. The album came out on June 16, 2006 and was produced by Howard Benson. The lyrics all have a deep meaning and the vibe and feelings the songs give off, one in particular being “Never Too Late,” make my day feel a little more meaningful and reminds me that it’s going to be okay no matter what life could possibly throw at me. Especially throughout all of the things we have been going through due to COVID-19, I feel like we all need that reminder sometimes and to be encouraged to keep on fighting for the futures we want because it’s never too late. Also, Three Days Grace is a really fun rock band, and I got into listening to them, that genre of music and many other genres like it, all because of my dad; it’s something we can really bond over. Being able to bond over this kind of music has also brought me more friendships that feel like family, and I wouldn’t trade that for anything in the world.