Students express opinions on changes through pandemic

Junior+Peyton+Daniel+works+on+her+debate+proposal+for+her+honors+English+class.+This+is+Daniels+second+year+in+honors+English.+

Amy Dean

Junior Peyton Daniel works on her debate proposal for her honors English class. This is Daniel’s second year in honors English.

Cassidy Klock, Associate Editor

Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in March of 2020, some students have expressed feelings that their school day has changed throughout the past two years. 

Some students have experienced a personal change through school. Junior Peyton Daniel experienced a personal change when she moved her academic level from academic to honors courses.  

“During my freshman year in 2020, I felt that my history and English classes were not challenging me the way I felt I needed to be challenged. I talked to my teachers, and we came to the conclusion that it would be best for me to move up to honors courses in the upcoming year,” Daniel said. “Well, little did we know that a pandemic was going to hit and push us all into online school, so to be honest, I was slightly worried. Nobody knew what was going to happen, so I considered emailing my counselor to have them change my level back down to academic because I felt I couldn’t take the stress of another drastic change in my life. In the end, I did decide to go against it, and I am happy that I did.” 

For senior Kadince Nedimyer, his personal change was not regarding school but finding what he labels it as “his true self.” 

“I came out during COVID-19. Coming out definitely had its ups and downs. I had a lot of supporters, but I still kept it hidden for a while because I was scared I wouldn’t be accepted,” Nedimyer said. “I never really felt like myself until I came out. I was lucky enough to be accepted by my parents though so that was absolutely something I was so grateful for.” 

Along with some students experiencing personal changes, others have found changes in the school day system and school building since the start of the pandemic. 

Some students enjoy the new changes to the building. 

“I really enjoy the new building. I love how modern it looks and I like it a lot more,” junior Brooke Thomas said. 

Others do not like the new building due to the size. 

“I have to run to all of my classes. Though I do like the look of the new building, I do not feel that five minutes is enough time to get to all of my classes. Especially if I am walking from the third floor of the A building to the third floor of the B building, I feel I should get at least seven minutes,” junior Kalissa Geist said. 

Some students do not necessarily agree with some of the new rules that have been put in place since the beginning of the pandemic.  

“Though I do understand that the district wanted us back for in-person learning for this year, I have to say that I disagree with being back fully in person this year. The pandemic is still very much around and though I wear my mask, it can only go so far. Even if we were still in hybrid format I would feel so much safer. Yes, virtual learning was a big change to get used to, but after I did get used to it I actually kind of enjoyed being able to be home with my family all day and to be honest, I kind of miss it,” junior Kadyn Carey said. 

Though there have been changes to the school, some students choose to remain positive and comply with any and all rules.

“There are absolutely rules that I don’t agree with. But, no matter how much I complain, the school isn’t going to change their rules. They [the rules] are obviously in place for a reason and complaining about them is not going to make a difference so I just sit back and comply,” sophomore Ethan Eisenhart said.