Biology classrooms to get rats

Remy+has+just+recently+become+one+of+Partsch%E2%80%99s+four+new+pets.+The+students+will+be+allowed+to+hold+him+after+getting+their+parents%E2%80%99+permission.+

Heather Partsch

Remy has just recently become one of Partsch’s four new pets. The students will be allowed to hold him after getting their parents’ permission.

Allison Little, Reporter

Biology classrooms in school were given the opportunity to adopt rats. These rats are part of safe experiments and are simultaneously becoming class pets. 

Biology teacher Heather Partsch wants to be able to provide this experience for her students. 

“There are several teachers that are getting rats from The Pennsylvania Society for Biomedical Research, and we are going to use them to do a complete laboratory procedure where we’re going to look at growth based on improper or proper nutrition,” Partsch said.  

Biology teacher Mary Heiple decided not to get the rats as a pet, but thinks it will be a good opportunity for the other students. 

“The purpose is to really explore science in a hands-on way instead of just doing studies that just look at paper and pencil data. Students actually get to perform the study; they get to observe the rats as they progress through the study, and it’s a much more hands-on experience,” Heiple said. 

The experiment will not be harmful to the rats. Two of them will receive milk to drink, and the other two will receive sugar water. They will be fed like this for a few weeks, and their growth will be measured. Students will create hypotheses and document all of the rat’s changes so they can see the impact that proper nutrition has on growth and development. 

Teachers could choose whether they wanted to receive and care for the rats or not. 

“I know for me personally I made the decision not to get the rats, but we are doing different projects in my room. I do know that lots of teachers are getting them though, and they are very excited,” Heiple said. 

The Pennsylvania Society of Biomedical Research offers this opportunity to schools. 

“The purpose through Pennsylvania Society for Biomedical Research is to give students an opportunity to do actual hands-on, real science with something that they have a connection to. Although, my reason is to not only give you that hands-on experience, but also in biology it’s just kind of awesome to have animals in the classroom and class pets,” Partsch said. 

Freshman Savannah Huss loves the idea of having a class pet. 

“I think that caring for other living things helps us students to see the beauty of nature. Stuff such as an experience in a classroom can enrich a student’s day and add to academic growth. Rats and mice are a great way to slowly be introduced to biology and the study of animals,” Huss said. 

Partsch is optimistic about students’ responses. 

“Most students are super excited to get to see the baby rats and see them grow, but many of the students have negative connotations associated with rats from the media or their parents or wherever they get their information. Although, most people understand that rats are actually very very intelligent. Especially after we have talked, I think it may have changed some of their opinions,” Partsch said. 

The rats are looking for their forever homes after the school year ends. 

“I have asked students if anyone would like to take the rats home as pets, but so far it seems as if most parents are hesitant to make that commitment. If I do not find any student placements, they will just become my class pets for years to come,” Partsch said. 

Out of nine biology teachers only three decided to get rats: Heather Partcsh, Megan Kutruff and Shawna Myers. 

The rats have just arrived and teachers have started the experiment.