Students opinions on snow days and FID days

Boot+up+the+computers.+Altoonas+first+fid+day+on+Feb.+3+2022.+The+FID+day+was+held+due+to+bad+weather+on+that+day.+

Eli Peteuil

Boot up the computers. Altoona’s first fid day on Feb. 3 2022. The FID day was held due to bad weather on that day.

Eli Peteuil, Reporter

Some students look forward to the idea of snow days every year and enjoy their day off to spend as they please. However, some students don’t enjoy having days reduced from spring break and the addition of days to the end of the year.

Ever since schools have gone back to in person learning, schools have figured out that they can hold a flexible instruction day (FID) instead of having a snow day. This allows the school day to count and the day does not have to be made up later in the school year. 

“I think it’s good because we won’t have to make up the snow days, but I feel like some teachers go crazy on virtual days and give us a ton of work because we’re at home,” senior Adreonna McConnell said. “FID days give us a break from being around others because some people don’t like being around other people at school.” 

Some students still prefer snow days over FID days and would prefer not to have to log in for them at all. 

“Snow days are our day to catch up on stuff or just enjoy sleeping in or whatever we want to do. The days added to the end of the year don’t really affect me as much. I’d rather go to school in summer than in winter,” junior Mackenzie Wagner said. 

Teachers also have their opinions on whether they prefer FID days over snow days.

“I like the FID days. We don’t have to make the snow days up that we miss when it’s a FID day. Although I think it’s nice to have snow days every now and then, think of how excited you used to be when a snow day was announced. With the FID days I think it’s frustrating. From a teacher point of view, not everyone logs in and does what they are supposed to do, and it’s annoying because they are going to have to make up the work anyway, and the student may get in trouble,” geometry teacher Emily Bender said.

Some students dislike the FID days and would prefer they don’t happen at all and normal snow days continue. 

“I dislike them. It makes me lazy, and I don’t want to work when it’s online. I have to miss my lifting class in the morning which makes me start off school weird. I like normal snow days over FID days because it feels like a free day, and I don’t have to worry about getting work done, and I don’t have to get ready for school. I also don’t like learning over a screen,” junior Chandler Brendel said.

Some students don’t care, they just enjoy their day or they log in and do their work. 

“I really don’t care. If we’re online, I’ll log in and do my classes. If we have a snow day I’m also fine with that. There are positives and negatives to FID days and snow days, I just always try and look for the positives in things,” junior Julia McCauley said.