Glass Slipper Project to continue accepting donations

Connor George

Just one Volunteer Frankie Price looks through the dresses. United Way of Blair County partnered with the Logan Valley Mall for the Glass Slipper project.

Connor George, Reporter

On Feb. 26 and 28, the United Way of Blair County partnered with the Logan Valley mall to distribute prom dresses through the Glass Slipper Project. 

“We are taking donations for lightly used or never worn dresses,” volunteer Lindsay Garman said. “We’re looking for plus sized dresses, we need a lot of those.”

Garman has been volunteering with the Glass Slipper Project for five years and with United Way for eight.

“When my daughter became of age, we were looking for prom dresses, and I didn’t realize how expensive they were,” Garman said. “That made me think, ‘What about people who can’t afford these?’”

The Glass Slipper Project has distributed to the community since 2011. It began as a way to help students find dresses, shoes, and jewelry for prom. 

“I remember one time,” Garman said. “There was a girl who came in looking for a prom dress. She was trying a couple of them on, and eventually found a dress that was ‘just perfect.’ I had to step out, because it got too emotional for me.”

The Glass Slipper Project will be in the Logan Valley Mall in the old Ooh La La store, on Friday, March 18 from 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., and on Saturday, March 19 from noon to 4 p.m. Donations can be dropped off at United Way of Blair County, 208 Hollidaysburg Plaza Duncansville, PA 16635.