Mental health days should be encouraged 

At times during the school year, mental health needs to be maintained.

Wokandapix at Pixabay, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons

Abigail Herncane, Guest Reporter

Have you ever come to school so tired you couldn’t even keep your eyes open, or just not in the best mood to learn and be around people?  Everyone has the same answer to this question.  Taking off days or mental health health days should be encouraged for students, teachers or anyone who works.  

This break can be used to help reduce stress and come back with more energy.  It allows people to take a break before things may become too overwhelming.  It’s better to take a day off and come back the next day more motivated and productive.  This way, more work that is error-free can be completed.  

Some people may be hesitant to take a day off because they are worried of falling behind.  There is always time to catch up on missed work and that shouldn’t be a worry.  It’s always good to do work with a fresh, stress free mind.  Pushing through the day could lead to poor work and high stress levels 

Mental health days don’t make people lazy or unreliable.  Other people don’t know others’ feelings.  Doing what is best for your mental health is more important than what people think of you.  Always listen to your body and mind and use your personal judgment.  

During your mental health day it should be about yourself.  Do things you enjoy and that make you feel better.  For example, you could go on a walk, watch a TV series, get a massage or paint.  The goal is to eliminate any negative emotions you may feel.  Doing activities you enjoy will give your mind a rest and help you relax.  

In 2018 Utah passed a bill saying students are allowed to take a mental health day as an excused absence from school.  More schools should look into this and consider the benefits.