Skomra wins loyal educator award

Skomra+wins+more+than+just+the+title+of+a+loyal+educator.+She+was+given+flowers+and+a+Panera+bread+gift+card+for+winning.+

Destiny Montgomery

Skomra wins more than just the title of a loyal educator. She was given flowers and a Panera bread gift card for winning.

Allison Little, Reporter

People were asked to nominate a local educator for their tireless dedication to the students of the community. French teacher Veronica Skomra was anonymously submitted for the loyal educator award, and she won. Dean Patterson Automotives hosted this competition. 

Skomra has been teaching for nine years. She taught at Richland High School for two years and then the French program ended. She has been teaching at Altoona for seven years. 

“I knew that I was going to be a teacher since I was little. It was like this innate thing. It was meant to be,” Skomra said.  

Skomra still does not know who nominated her for this award. She has asked multiple colleges and students, but no one seems to know. 

“I don’t know who nominated me. I’ve asked around and no one seems to know, or they won’t tell me. They must like me as a teacher. I actually asked the guy who was delivering my award when he got here, and he said he didn’t know. I’m not going to say I’m the perfect teacher because that doesn’t exist. I don’t know who it was but whoever it was I am very grateful. It was greatly appreciated and surprising,” Skomra said. 

Skomra has junior Paris Lawson in class. Lawson believes that Skomra definitely deserves the award. 

“Her class is very fun. She puts a lot of effort into doing really creative and fun activities. She makes learning a language not as difficult as it needs to be. When it is difficult she recognizes that and it helps us learn because we don’t feel as frustrated because she acknowledges it’s difficult. The way she teaches makes it not as harsh of a thing to do,” Lawson said.

Skomra was very surprised when she found out she won. Lawson was in Skomra’s class when she got the call that she won. She believes everyone in the class was very happy for Skomra. 

“She seemed really happy about it. She was a little confused because she didn’t know who nominated her. We all thought she deserved it, so we were happy for her. She seemed really happy to be getting it. She’s a really good teacher. Most of the students in her class, if not all, are pretty happy with how she teaches. She’s always been a teacher you look forward to going back to. Her classes have never really been one that most people dread,” Lawson said. 

Students appreciate the time Skomra puts into her lessons to make them fun and creative. 

“I’m not a normal teacher. My classes are very interactive and student focused. I’m not the kind of teacher to just give her students a worksheet everyday. I’m one of those teachers where you never know what I’m going to do,” Skomra said. 

Skomra would like to thank whoever nominated her. She is very appreciative that someone would take the time to submit her name. 

“I was shocked; it’s just one of those things that makes you feel good inside. It’s something good that’s happening in all of this craziness with COVID-19 and everything else going on. It was very nice, but it was a surprise,” Skomra said.