Guinea pigs need a friend

Steve+and+Gerald+are+very+good+friends.+They+have+learned+how+to+share+food+since+they+have+met.+

Allison Little

Steve and Gerald are very good friends. They have learned how to share food since they have met.

Allison Little, Reporter

Guinea pigs are great pets, but they require special care. Guinea pigs are very social animals that should be kept with another guinea pig so they are not lonely. If guinea pigs are too lonely they may suffer health issues. 

According to ThoughtCo. guinea pigs were domesticated between 5,000 and 7,000 years ago. When they became pets scientists noticed differences in size and herds. Guinea pigs then became pets and were spread around the world.

When guinea pigs lived in the wild, they roamed in herds of three to 10. From the beginning of their existence, guinea pigs depended on each other. They explore together and groom each other.

According to ZME Science, in places like Switzerland, it is illegal to own just one guinea pig because it is considered cruel. 

It is possible for guinea pigs to die of loneliness. According to Home and Roost, guinea pigs can become so depressed from loneliness that they will stop eating and exercising. 

Guinea pigs are known to be more active when they have friends. If guinea pigs don’t exercise enough, they can get diseases like diabetes, so having a friend prevents that. 

My guinea pigs, Steve and Gerald, are best friends who rely on each other’s company. Taking away one of these guinea pigs would leave drastic effects on the other’s mental health. My guinea pigs would not be as social and loving if they were not influenced by each other. 

Freshman Noah Rodriguez owned three guinea pigs. Two of his guinea pigs had to leave. He saw a change in the remaining guinea pigs behavior. 

“Princess Leia, the guinea pig, became more shy after her siblings left. She was still healthy, but she did not seem as happy,” Rodriguez said. 

Just like humans, guinea pigs can grieve. When guinea pigs lose their friends, changes in eating habits, personality, and behavior might be common. 

It is possible to own just one guinea pig, but one should take extra caution to ensure that guinea pigs safety. If someone owns a singular guinea pig, it is important that they spend lots of time with that guinea pig and give it lots of time out of the cage. 

It is best to get multiple guinea pigs at the same time. However, it is possible to introduce a new guinea pig to a group. When introducing a new guinea pig, people should monitor the herd closely to make sure no one is fighting.