Mountain Lion Backpack Program continues

Abigail Shearer, Reporter

For years, past student council members have participated in the Mountain Lion backpack program. 

According to student council adviser Kimberly Shope, the program is made to meet the needs of elementary students who don’t have enough to eat over the weekend or school break. 

“It has been several years since the Mountain Lion backpack program has started, it was Mr. and Mrs. Little. They have fundraisers and work with community businesses for donations. They secured a space at the old Butterick building on Beale avenue as a storage space for their donations. When they’re out there packing on Thursday at 5 p.m., it’s at the Beale Avenue entrance to the building closest to 29th street. There’s a loading dock you just walk down in there. They currently work with the community action program to continue to fundraise and to get donations,” Shope said.

The Little’s stepped away after several years and now it is run by others. David Aboud is one of the individuals who runs the program who retired from teaching in Altoona after 41 years. 

“He was always heavily involved with packing the bags and fundraising and things like that. He now is in charge of the warehouse portion of the packing. What we have tried to do over the years is support them just like a lot of other organizations in the community. School groups go out and volunteer because some of them need the hours,” Shope said. 

The packing typically takes place on Thursdays from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. unless Friday is a holiday, so it will take place Wednesday at the same. All of the bags are packed and delivered to the elementary schools. They then get distributed to the students who have signed up for the program. 

Anyone is able to get involved with the program, there is no sign up.

“There are people from the community that just walk in and help pack the food. They do one school at a time, and they know how many bags they need for each school. They pack them one school at a time then they have them transported. You’re walking in a circle, filling a bag and tying it. If students want to get involved, they can just show up or stop down and see me. I think it’s an easy opportunity to support the community. I wish we could do more for our secondary school but this is more of an elementary based program given the need,” Shope said.

Senior Rachel Lucas has been participating in the program since she was in elementary school, took a break, then started up again this year. 

“My favorite part is that I get to help people, it makes me feel good. It is an easy way to get service hours and it goes for a good cause. It’s only an hour every Thursday. It’s for a good cause and everyone should go and help out,” Lucas said.