College Signing Ceremony

Abigail Shearer

Nedimyer congratulates Stroup with a hug after announcing him the blanket award winner.

Abigail Shearer, Reporter

Track and field athletes Brooke Long and Ethan Stroup have been accepted into St. Francis University. Breaden Ferguson will be attending Seton Hill University. George Boutiller received a scholarship for California University of PA. Adian Kelley has been accepted into Florida institute of Technology. All students were awarded an athletic scholarship. 

Girls’ soccer athletes Morgan Sarver will be attending Slippery Rock University. Lauren Kiser has been accepted into Penn State Behrend. Maddie Cabell received a scholarship for Mount Aloysius College along with boys’ soccer player Gavin Lamborn, who has been accepted into Central Penn College. 

The student representing girls’ volleyball in Geneva College will be Evelyn Stroup. Jenna Williams will be attending St. Francis University on behalf of the cheerleading team. Representing the Lioneers in Grannon University will be Emma Dietrick who is also the first person in Altoona to sign for dance on an athletic scholarship. 

“No one has signed up for dance at Altoona yet. Not a lot of people do because it’s not really known. It feels good, I feel like a lot of dancers don’t really know it’s an option and that colleges offer scholarships for dance so hopefully it will inspire other people that see that so they realize they can find a college that offers dance as a sport,” Dietrick said.

The blanket award was also granted to Ethan Stroup. According to Vince Nedimyer, Stroup is a hardworking, consistent and helpful player. Stroup meets all the criteria for the award.