• March 18Congratulations to our speech team members who went to States!

• March 15Pre-orders for Devon Fagan's book are available in Mrs. Harris's room

• March 13Talent Show Friday at 7 p.m. in the auditorium

• March 13Plan to visit the Skills USA bake sale on the bridge on 3/14 and 3/15

• March 9There will be a bake sale on the bridge on 3/12 and 3/13 to support Mito Awareness Week

• March 8Junior Class Executive Committee will be holding fundraisers on bridge 3/11-14

Everyone loves To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kaly Ansman, Reporter

I am sorry to all the books I’ve loved before because this one is the best.

Jenny Han’s book “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” was a hot topic of conversation when Netflix released a movie based on the novel on Aug. 17, 2018.

“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” is the story of a 16-year-old Asian-American girl, Lara Jean Song-Covey (Lana Condor), who wrote letters to every boy she ever had feelings for (five boys in total). When her letters get out, Lara Jean has to find a way to avoid her sister’s ex-boyfriend, who she also wrote a letter to. The five boys, Josh Sanderson (Israel Broussard), Peter Kavinsky (Noah Centineo), John Ambrose McClaren (John Burtchett), Lucas Krapf (Trezzo Mahoro) and Kenny Donati, were from Lara Jean’s past. While Kenny never gets his letter, it being addressed to their summer camp, all four other boys did receive theirs. To avoid Josh, Lara Jean and Peter Kavinsky begin to fake date. While neither of them have feelings for each other, feelings start to flourish the longer they pretend to be a couple.

The movie was a big hit before the end of summer, having people excited from the very first trailer.

The Netflix Original and the book aren’t all that different, but the movie misses some important details. In the book, Lara Jean’s sister, Kitty (Anna Cathcart), sends out the letters in anger, but in the movie, her sister sent them out because she thought her sister was lonely and needed a boyfriend. Kitty was also older in the movie than the book. A second difference between the two is how Lara Jean and Peter begin to talk. In the book Lara Jean is having car trouble, and Peter pulls over to help, but in the movie it happens when Lara Jean almost runs Peter over with her car. In the movie, the car Peter drove was different than the one he drove in the book. In the book, Josh is jealous of Peter and Lara Jean because it is obvious that Josh has feelings for her, but in the movie it is unclear why Josh hates Peter and seems to be protective of Lara Jean because of their old friendship. That among many other small details are things left out of the film. There was one important event that the movie left out that happened in the book which would’ve put the cherry on the top for the movie.

While the movie itself is amazing, it’s the small details in the book that would have made it better. The biggest problem with the movie being the absence of an important interaction between Josh and Lara Jean.

Fans are also waiting to find out if there will be a second movie based on the second book, “P.s I Still Love You.” Most fans hoping for the entire trilogy to be adapted into movies. The third book, “Always and Forever, Lara Jean,” continues the story of Lara Jean’s love life

About the Contributor
Kaly Ansman, Reporter

I'm currently a junior in our lovely school, and someday I want to go to NYU. My goal is to become a journalist and write for the rest of my...