Civics+teacher+Jacob+Wilt+showing+his+ninth+graders+the+Library+Orientation+video.++

Ash Carini

Civics teacher Jacob Wilt showing his ninth graders the Library Orientation video.

Jacob Wilt

Q: What’s the best advice you’ve been given about teaching?

A: Every decision needs to be in the students’ interests. 

Q: What made you choose to teach at AAHS? 

A: I always wanted to teach civics. That was always a subject that I loved doing because I think it has a lot of buy in with students that what you are learning today you could use today. It is knowledge that makes you a better citizen and person as a whole. When coming back to Altoona, I am largely a reflection of Altoona Area School District… Whenever I was applying to schools, I could think of no greater honor than coming back to the place that raised me, to help raise the next generation.

Q: When was the moment you realized you wanted to be a teacher?   

A: I was at McAuliffe Heights at Irving Elementary school. I was in third grade. There was a worksheet that everybody was working on; it was a history class. I got done a couple minutes early. And one of my friends was having some trouble with it, so I helped him with it, I saw the light bulb go off… I want to see that forever…”

Q: What is your favorite part of teaching so far? Why?

A: My favorite part of teaching so far is figuring out what’s the best way or method of teaching my kids, like what strategies can I include, how I can engage them in learning about these systems of government and all these things that on surface might not seem not as interesting… And getting to see their faces everyday.

Q: Who inspired you to become a teacher?

A: “I was always just motivated to follow in this profession. I had some really wonderful teachers, some of whom are here at the high school, that I really just enjoyed their structure and their routines. I also have a phenomenal support system… This has a dream of mine for a long time and having that support system and good role models and examples around me has helped.

Q: What college did you go to?

A: Indiana University of Pennsylvania

Q: What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

A: I love to read. I have goals of how many I need to read each year, but this year it’s 20 books that I’m trying to get to. I love cheering on my Chicago Cubs and spending time with whom I love. Those take up most of my time. 

Q: Why did you choose the subject that you are teaching? 

A: Civics, what a phenomenal thing to learn about. How you can become a better citizen and how you can become more aware of our government and how its involved. Learning about these systems, you can learn stuff right now that you can go out and emulate, and you can learn to be an active, informed citizen and be aware of the powers that be. I think it just allows you to navigate the world a little bit easier.

Q: As a student, I know I tend to get nervous for the first weeks of school. As a teacher in a new school, do you feel that sense of nervousness you once felt as a student?

A: I feel like if you’re not nervous something is wrong. Nervousness means that you care. I also think being nervous and being excited are the same feeling; it’s just different on how you describe it. I think they are similar feelings. I am more excited than nervous because I know I’m going to come in here everyday, and I’m going to teach them about something useful. Teach about something helpful to them. Just a little bit nervous, but I think it shows that I care.

Q: Is there something you would want to do during your teaching career? Ex: coaching sport, head of a club etc.

A: I would love to get involved with the school’s drama program which is what I was a part of in high school. I was a part of the speech league program in high school, and we recently don’t have a team for that anymore, so that’s something I might want to adopt. I want to take on the reins of that.

Mountain Echo • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in