Retired history teacher James Lowe starts blog

Honoring+our+fallen.+A+memorial+to+honor+all+of+the+men+and+women+who+were+a+part+of+AASD+was+put+up+in+the+lobby+of+the+B+building+this+past+school+year.+

Jaidyn Palladini

Honoring our fallen. A memorial to honor all of the men and women who were a part of AASD was put up in the lobby of the B building this past school year.

Jaidyn Palladini, Associate Editor

In September, history teacher James Lowe began a history blog for interested readers to stay connected with history. 

Lowe taught for 33 years before retiring this past school year, but he still attempts to help people learn more about history. 

I just started in September,” Lowe said. “With the encouragement of my friend Mr. Fox, who has a blog also, I thought it would be a good way to continue to tell stories of history that are both fascinating and teach us life lessons.

Although Lowe is retired, he still wants to continue his teaching, just not to a classroom with students. 

It’s important to me to have an outlet to continue to share stories about our nation’s great heritage,” Lowe said.

While writing, Lowe attempts to tell stories that are not considered common knowledge.

“I tried to weave into each blog a post something about life that we can learn from that historic event so history is more than just what happened years ago,” Lowe said. “I also hope there will be an emotional reaction to the stories, where in some cases they might be funny, but in another case, they are sad.

History teacher Eric Zolnak believes that the blog is boosting Lowe’s career.   

“I think that it’s a good opportunity for him to share the tremendous amount of knowledge he has about history and the love he has for history,” Zolnak said.

Zolnak first met Lowe when he stepped in to teach his class while Lowe was out from a surgery.

“His sister and I graduated together,” Zolnak said. “When he had his first transplant, I was his first longtime sub, so I’ve known him for about 26 or 27 years now.”

With Lowe retired, Zolnak doesn’t feel the same without having Lowe right down the hall 

“I don’t get to have the same conversations about history events and things I would have normally been able to have with him,” Zolnak said. 

According to history teacher John Saboe, Lowe’s decision was a positive choice because he can now continue to be a resource of knowledge about American history. 

“Mr. Lowe has such a vast amount of knowledge about America History, that for him to start a history blog is just one more way for him to continue to share his knowledge and also his love of history with people,” Saboe said.

As a history teacher, Lowe and Saboe have known each other ever since they could remember. In fact, Lowe was Saboe’s best man at his wedding.

When he let me know that he was going to retire, it was tough to hear,” Saboe said. “First, I was really happy for him. He has dedicated so many years to perfecting his craft and became an amazing educator who has more than earned the opportunity to enjoy retirement. The selfish side of me wanted him to be here teaching until the day comes that I can retire. It was pretty awesome to come into work everyday and see one of your best friends in life everyday and have the opportunity to talk with him, share experiences and continue to enjoy our friendship. But overall, I’m just so happy for him that he was able to make the decision to retire and to then be able to go out and enjoy doing whatever he wants to do with the rest of his life.”

While still being a teacher, Saboe feels that it is tough to lose a teacher like Lowe. 

“In his case, we have lost a great resource of American History and an absolutely incredible teacher who was a great mentor for students, student teachers and staff,” Saboe said. “But, we still have a great social studies department here at AAHS that will build on the legacy that Mr. Lowe helped to create and will become even better because of his influence.”