Parents raise money for fine arts programs

Courtesy of Jenn McCauley

Jeremy and Jenn McCauley are busy working at the taco station which prepares walking tacos, nachos with cheese or buffalo chicken dip and chili cheese dogs during football games.

The Fine Arts Boosters (FAB) are a group of parents who volunteer their time to help the students of the fine arts programs in both the high school as well as the junior high school. The fine arts program consists of the marching band, jazz band, wind ensemble, orchestra, string ensemble, chorus, vocal ensemble and drama.

“It takes a lot of work to keep these groups running, and the directors and their staff cannot do it alone,” Apparel Chair Heather Miller said. 

With approximately 1,000 senior and junior high students involved in the fine arts programs, there are multiple opportunities to volunteer time and help the programs function. 

“There are several aspects to help it run smoothly. For example, helping to measure, make alterations and distribute uniforms. Concert ticket sales, concession stands, fundraiser distribution, band feeds at the football games and helping with district festivals are all ways of volunteering,” Hospitality Chair Jenn McCauley said.

Parents can get involved by reaching out to any of the program directors or any board member.  There is a computer program they use called Charms, and they list the volunteer opportunities and student account information. They also use the Band app to get information out to parents.

“The Band app is a great way to keep informed of all the programs happening within the fine arts program. You can also find a list of volunteer opportunities and sign up directly for those events,” President Kathy Markel said.

Meeting new people, helping students, chaperoning trips and away football games are all some reasons why individuals may join. Volunteering for the concession stand is a way to get into an event and put funds into students’ accounts. Clearances are not needed to volunteer in the concession stand; however, clearances are needed to work concerts, chaperone events or anything that directly involves a student.  

“We have a great time volunteering. We love to see the smiles on the students’ faces as we hand them a water and snack after performing at a game. They really do appreciate all we do for them. They work very hard day in and day out, and they are a blast to be around. Also, some of my closest friends I have met through this program,” McCauley said.

One of the opportunities for volunteering is in the concession stands at Mansion Park. The stands are open for football games, soccer games, track and field meets and graduation. According to Markle, concession stands fund 90 percent of the Fine Arts Boosters budget.

“Money raised from the concession stand helps to purchase music, instruments, uniforms and off-set the cost of home and away football games. It also helps to pay for district conferences and end of the year trips and programs,” Miller said. 

The Fine Arts Boosters board of directors is made up of parents and directors of the programs involved. There are multiple positions on the board such as: President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary. Also making up the board of directors are chairpersons for different committees such as fundraising, uniform, apparel, hospitality and student accounts.

“We always enjoy welcoming new faces to our family.  If you are interested, you email me at [email protected] for more information,” Markel said.