Student employees manage education, jobs

Stayley Drenning

Come on in. Applebee’s is located in the Logan Valley Mall. It will be moving to a new location on Pleasant Valley Boulevard in from of Martins soon.

Some students take it upon themselves to become employed while also being a high school student. Most students are only able to work certain hours based on their age. 

Senior Felicity Payne currently has two jobs. 

“For school to career I work at Marcia’s Chocolate. I make chocolate,do social media directing and take all of their photography. I also work after school hours at Applebee’s, and I’m a carside so I basically gather orders together and make my own tips,” Payne said. 

Payne had an idea of what to expect based on prior employment. 

“At first it was harder than I expected because I felt like I was being left out of a lot of things with my friends, boyfriend and family, but once I got used to my schedule, I learned how to work around it,” Payne said.

Payne believes her jobs are beneficial to her life. 

“Having a job allows me to have a nice vehicle that I’m able to take care of myself, and it also lets me prepare for my future house,” Payne said. 

Payne saves her money to put towards things for now and for the future

“Time management is my best friend. I have to learn how to make money for myself and still get good grades no matter what my hours are like,” Payne said. 

Payne has a routine she sticks to in order to get done what she needs to. 

“I usually get off around 8 p.m. or 9 p.m., so when I get home I get a shower, do all of my necessities, do my homework and then go to bed,” Payne said. 

Payne enjoys both of her current jobs.

“[With] Applebee’s I’m planning on keeping it year round because that’s where I get most of my money. Marcia’s was a school given job that I plan on keeping to further my photography education,” Payne said. 

Payne is passionate about starting to work at a young age.

“I believe being successful requires a hardworking mind, so it’s best to acquire that mindset at a young age. Being employed creates a working experience, so when you’re older in the real world, you won’t be as surprised at the consequences and outcomes of having a job. It also teaches students how to provide for themselves,” Payne said. 

Junior Alaina Noel joined the working world for the first time this fall. 

“I worked at Spirit Halloween.I was a cashier and also helped stock shelves,” Noel said.

Noel didn’t know what to expect when she got hired.

“I expected it to be easier than what it was. However, I was proven wrong, and it is actually very difficult to be at school from 7 a.m. until around 3 p.m. and then have to go directly to work until maybe 9 p.m.,” A. Noel said. 

Spirit Halloween was the first place A. Noel applied to. 

“I met a lot of really fun people, and I had a really good time every day I went in. I honestly feel like it would make me feel better after school because everyone there was really nice. I got to talk to a lot of interesting customers, and I made money,” A. Noel said.

Noel tries to keep her school assignments organized.

“I’ll just make priority lists about things that absolutely need done, things that should be done and things that I want to do but if I don’t have time to do [them] that’s okay,” A. Noel said. 

Noel found the balance between being employed and a student.

“Having a job trains your brain for the real world, but also I feel like some kids really overwork themselves and end up feeling miserable after all of it. There is a good balance, and you can have a job and go to school. You just have to find where the middle ground is,” A. Noel said. 

Noel believes that students should get a job whenever they feel it is the best time to. 

“It’s good to have money for when you’re done with high school because if you’re going freshly to college at least you’ll have some savings, but as long as you’re prepared for the responsibilities you’ll be taking on and the time you’re willing to spend while having a job then it’s worth it,” A.Noel said. 

Sophomore Olivia Noel got her first job over the summer.

“I work at 33 on Mac, and I serve people food. Having a job is about what I expected it to be because it can be hard sometimes, but it’s manageable. The people there are really nice, which makes it more enjoyable,” O. Noel said

O. Noel plans out her days accordingly.

“I manage my time well, so I usually try to finish my school work while I’m in school or after I’m done at work because I sometimes get out early,” O. Noel said. 

O. Noel doesn’t plan on leaving her job for a while.

“’I’m probably going to keep it until I turn 16 so I can go somewhere better with higher pay,” O. Noel said. 

Workers permits are needed for anyone under 18 years-old. Students can apply for one from the school district.