• January 10There are formal senior photos on Jan. 16 from 3-5 in the open cafeteria

• January 10There will be a blood drive on Jan. 31

• January 4Jan. 14 is group picture day for the yearbook

• January 4Applications for Girls Who Code will open in mid January

• December 19Congratulations to Mitch Lawhead and Gage Hill for their college signing today.

2018 shines as best year for new movies

An amazing family movie!
The Incredibles 2 came out on June 15 in 2018. The beloved movie earned more than several hundred million dollars in theaters.

Caden McMaster

An amazing family movie! The Incredibles 2 came out on June 15 in 2018. The beloved movie earned more than several hundred million dollars in theaters.

Caden McMaster, Reporter

This year is one of the best years for movies. So far Disney has dominated the box office and still has movies coming out before the end of the year, such as the new sequel of “Mary Poppins: Returns,” which comes out Dec. 19. The year is coming to an end and the time for new 2018 movies is almost gone. There are five movies that have taken the cake for this year’s 2018 movie releases.

At number five on the list is “Mission Impossible: Fallout.” The sixth movie in the franchise is another instant classic. The movie follows Ethan Hunt and his task to stop a disaster of great proportions. The movie is a race against the clock and has some epic moments that solidify the Mission Impossible franchise as some of the best action movies in the twenty first century. Overall the best parts of the movie were the action sequences with Tom Cruise performing his own stunts.

Number four on the list is “Halloween.” This is the best sequel for the franchise someone could ever ask for. It brings back the classic gore movies with a new and exciting take on horror sequels and the welcome reintroduction of the slasher genre. Jamie Lee Curtis gave an excellent performance and made a lasting impression on everyone in the theater. It cleaned up the “bad sequels” that the Halloween franchise has suffered from.

Coming in at number three is “Incredibles 2.” In a 14 year wait, the world was finally blessed earlier this year with the sequel to the 2004 original movie that blew away audiences. The long wait was worth it, and it showed that patience is a virtue. It gave the audience a new and gripping story. Pixar teased the movie from mid-2017, and the first trailer in early 2018 showed what to expect from the new sequel.

At number two is “A Quiet Place.” John Krasinski wrote and directed the film. The movie is brimming with jaw-dropping moments and has a very climactic ending. Performances by Emily Blunt and John Krasinski really give the movie this very silent atmosphere and a chilling fear of suspense. It was a surprise smash hit at the box office and it gave a solid score at the box office making around $340.7 million with a budget of $17 million.

Finally at number one is “Avengers: Infinity War.” This movie topped every single expectation and exceeded hopes and dreams. The movie is full of twists and turns that will, in the end, eventually lead to the very climatic ending that ends on a cliff-hanger. The VFX is probably the best of the entire MCU. Josh Brolin’s Thanos was definitely looking the most real of any of the CGI actors and his performance was overall the most compelling and gave many emotional scenes while still remaining a mountain of a threat. 

Overall, it can be said that this year was a great year for movies, and it looks like 2019 is lining up to be another great year for the movie industry with “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood,” “Godzilla: King of Monsters,” “Avengers: Endgame,” and “Star Wars Episode 9.”

About the Contributor
Caden McMaster, Reporter

Hi! My name is Caden McMaster. I consider myself the funniest person in the room at all times. I am probably very egotistical, and I love Hungry Howies. ...