Do journalists always lie?

Madison Aboud

Truth and lies. Journalism is an art that can make or break a persons’ life and reputation. It is important not to abuse the power it has.

Since I started working for my school newspaper, I have done my best to make sure everything I write is the truth. 

Ever since I was young, I have always felt the truth is one of the most important things in this world. However, in modern society, the truth seems very hard to come by. 

Stereotypes are everywhere in this world. Women should stay in the kitchen. Men shouldn’t cry. All actors and actresses have plastic surgery. The list is endless. The one that bothers me the most, though, is that all journalists lie. 

To clear the air, I understand not all journalists tell the truth. Yes, some lie in order to make themselves or a situation look better. But, to say all they do is lie, is complete nonsense. 

To say all journalists are liars is like saying all musicians are prodigies. It simply isn’t true. 

It is important to keep in mind that some journalists don’t get a choice but to lie. In America, we are protected by the first amendment. “freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government,” (Congress.Gov). Nevertheless, this isn’t the case in other countries. 

Russia, for example, uses censorship in their media platforms. This means not everything can be written for the public to see. Everything is “checked” before going to print. With the Russia and Ukraine war, Putin made sure no one was saying anything against him by “enacting a law to punish anyone spreading “false information” about its Ukraine invasion with up to 15 years in prison.” ( New York Times ) This law also limits what journalists are allowed to write. It should also be mentioned that if journalists go against what Putin says, they run the risk of being captured or killed. 

I’m not  saying American journalists never lie. Unfortunately, even the journalists who are brand new to the field understand it does indeed happen. 

Since journalism began in the 1690’s, there has always been a major rule: Always tell the truth. No matter what, tell the truth and show both sides of a situation. Since then, unfortunately, many have not followed this rule. But for what reason? The way I see it is there are only two reasons why. One, for their own personal gain. The other, for another persons’ downfall.  

Personal Gain

When people have opinions, they tend to want to share them with the world, which is completely understandable. As an opinion writer, I get it, but there is a difference between writing opinion pieces and giving opinions in stories where they do not belong. For example, when writing about a hurricane, it makes more sense to talk about how it impacted the people in the place where it happened instead of writing about how people shouldn’t evacuate in times of crisis. When it comes to certain topics, it is better to remain unbiased. 

Unfortunately, some journalists simply don’t do that. They have to put their personal views in where they don’t necessarily belong. By doing this, they might boost their popularity and credibility. This also means they would lie about certain things in order to make their feelings and opinions validated. I’m not saying it is right, because in no circumstance is it, but it happens. 

Downfall of others

Another key rule in journalism is avoid libel. Writing for newspapers shouldn’t be used to slander other people. In major newspapers, who work mostly with political and economical information, this is a little different. Politicians are being hypothetically slaughtered for everything that they do, large or small. Politics is always a biased area in any situation. 

To bring other people down isn’t right or fair, in journalism, media or anywhere else in this world. Even so, it still happens. Many people have had their reputations ruined because writers and journalists have been hasty with their writings. Journalists hold more power than people believe. They have the power to raise others to new heights, while simultaneously being the cause of their defeat. 

Journalists shouldn’t use the power they have for bad or evil. It should be used to encourage others and tell the truth. 

I have been told multiple times all journalists and reporters lie. As one, I do my best not to take offense to this statement, but I do get upset when I hear it. 

In writing this article, I had to stop and think about why I was writing this. What was it that made me feel so passionate about this one stereotype? The answer is short: I want others to realize not all journalists are liars. Maybe some are, but a lot of them don’t. 

The simple truth is journalists are just like everyone else. They have feelings. They have stories. They have opinions. But, most importantly, they make mistakes. And that is okay. 

Maybe the real reason journalists and others “lie” isn’t because they don’t know the answer to something. Maybe the reason they lie is because the truth is too scary to admit⸺even to themselves.