Knowledge as self-empowerment

Leone+helps+sophomore+Kallen+Plunket+with+his+essay.+The+websites+will+be+done+Friday+Feb.+3.+

Allison Little

Leone helps sophomore Kallen Plunket with his essay. The websites will be done Friday Feb. 3.

Sophomore English classes are participating in a non-fiction unit where students pick a topic to research. This unit is called knowledge as self-empowerment. These projects are called self-empowerment projects because students are given independence to bring light to any issue they choose. 

English teacher Megan Leone teaches this project to her students. She believes this unit will help students learn how to find credible and reliable sources. 

We live in a world full of misinformation. Teaching students how to find credible sources to research is important. I think there’s a lot of misinformation out there and to be able to find honest, accurate truthful resources is important to combat misinformation. Most importantly, this unit enables you to form opinions based on credible evidence and not just because someone told you it is true,” Leone said. 

Students are instructed to choose any topic they are passionate about for this project. 

“I think students can benefit even more from this unit if they choose topics they are genuinely interested in, versus topics they think are easy enough to earn an ‘A.’ For this unit, the world is your oyster,” Leone said. 

Student teacher Ryan Deery is helping teach this unit. According to Deery, he has done a significant amount of research based writing in college. 

I have done multiple research base projects specifically surrounding the criminal justice system and technology, because that was my first focus in college. I wanted to go to law school. So, It has been an enjoyable experience teaching this style of writing,” Deery said.  

Deery would change some things about some of the students’ projects. He would have students pick more fun topics. 

“They get to choose what they write about, and it will be more enjoyable to write about something with which they are passionate. Use this as an opportunity to advance their learning in a way that they want, as well as get the grade that they deserve,” Deery said. 

Sophomore Eli Rosenberry is interested in nuclear energy because according to him it is an interesting and safe means of producing energy. 

“It’s a lot safer than coal and oil, and it’s so much healthier for the environment. It needs to be further explored, and that’s why I’m writing my essay on it,” Rosenberry said. “It’s a much healthier alternative to natural gasses and other non-renewable energy sources, and with the advent of nuclear fusion, energy will be much more readily available.”

Rosenberry believes nuclear energy would have a positive impact on the world. He enjoys this nonfiction unit as it allows him to explore something he is passionate about. 

“I do think that these projects benefit our learning in the way that we’re being exposed to a new form of writing and its nuances. I think it’s a good idea to be doing this assignment, as it prepares students for possible research papers in the future, whether they’re in high school, college or beyond,” Rosenberry said. 

Sophomore Rachel Kennedy is doing her project on the stresses on teens with school and extracurriculars. She chose to do this story because she sees stress levels increase among students and herself. 

“There’s so much more stress with social media and just higher expectations, and students are trying to cope. This type of assignment is a different approach to learning and is one that challenges us to dive into resources ourselves and is going to help make us more responsible and knowledgeable later in life,” Kennedy said. 

Kennedy hopes that her research project may change some minds.

It can be a little bit of a change even in teachers or educators’ minds, even if it’s not a concrete change. I think it’ll help the future generations.” 

The final outcome of this unit is a website and essay created by each student. 

“It’s a good idea that English classes have this opportunity. Despite the fact that some topics could be controversial, each project will provide a persuasive stance that could challenge others to think for themselves,” Kennedy said.