Students present dress code changes to school board

Dress+code.+Andie+Kephart+speaks+to+the+school+board+about+changes+she+feels+is+necessary+to+the+dress+code.+Kephart+worked+with+several+other+students+that+felt+the+dress+code+needed+updated.+

Courtesy of Andie Kephart

Dress code. Andie Kephart speaks to the school board about changes she feels is necessary to the dress code. Kephart worked with several other students that felt the dress code needed updated.

On Tuesday, Feb. 21, a group of middle school girls went to the school board meeting and presented their ideas for changes in the dress code. 

Among these girls was seventh grade student Andie Kephart. Kephart had been working on the speech for two months prior to presenting it to the board. 

“We wanted to show how the dress code is not up to date with the clothes sold in stores today and worn by teenagers. We wanted to inform them [the school board] that we did not want to dress like elementary-aged children. We wanted to make a change,” Kephart said. 

Kephart worked with four other seventh grade girls on the presentation including: Lydia Schimansky, Addison Mitchell, Jenna Weyant and Heaven Williams. These five girls created a slideshow to go along with the speech. 

“We went to the mall and took pictures of some clothing that, if we were to wear to school, we would get dress-coded. For example, crop tops showing too much skin and ripped jeans with rips above where the current dress code allows them to be,” Kephart said.

Kephart wrote and presented the speech, while Schimansky and Weyant flipped through the slideshow. Mitchell and Williams took charge of preparing the slideshow. 

“I felt nervous presenting the slideshow [to the board] because I don’t like public speaking, but I was also excited because it could go really well,” Weyant said. 

Kephart had mixed emotions about going to the meeting. 

“I was a little nervous because I don’t like speaking to adults, but then at the end I was fine because it all went well,” Kephart said.  

Created by Charlie Kephart

The students presented to all members of the board. School board member Dave Francis thought the girls did well.

I thought the girls did a wonderful job. They had visuals that solidified their argument for a change in the dress code. The girls were well prepared and made a strong argument for a revision of the dress code,” Francis said. 

Francis believes everyone in the students’ lives should acknowledge the advancements they were trying to make.

“I think their parents, teachers and classmates should be proud of these young ladies. I know, as a board member, I was impressed with the presentation,” Francis said. 

Francis was one of the members who agreed with what the students were arguing.

“I am not sure how long this dress code policy has been in effect, but the girls were correct; I think the policy needs to be updated,” Francis said. 

Francis believes the board will be taking the girls’ presentation into consideration with changing the dress code in the secondary levels. 

“We do take all requests made to the board seriously. We have our administrative staff investigate the request and get back to the board with their findings,” Francis said. “With this request, we asked the administration to meet the girls to discuss the possible changes in the current dress code and get back to the board.”  

School board president Frank Meloy has similar beliefs to Francis. He believes the students’ presentation was put together well.

“The students had a presentation that was well organized and well prepared. They were very polite and presented information that the board can use to review the dress code policy,” Meloy said. 

Meloy acknowledges the styles changing and trends evolving.

“The student dress code is a policy that needs to be reviewed on a regular basis. Styles are constantly changing and our policy needs to be readjusted as needed. In other words, we don’t want a policy that requires students to wear clothing that is no longer sold or manufactured because styles have changed,” Meloy said.

According to school board member, Ron Johnston, the presentation will be talked about at the upcoming meeting.

“We will be adding the dress code policy to be reviewed at an upcoming Policy Committee meeting,” Johnston said.