Jordan Corman goes above and beyond for students

Courtesy of Jordan Corman

Sunshine and flowers. Ninth grade English teacher Jordan Corman poses with sunflowers to encompass his bright personality.

When Jordan Corman first started teaching in Altoona, he was taking over for ninth grade English teacher Connor Chywski, after Chywski took a position in a different school. 

Corman worried the transition would be difficult for himself and his students.

“Many students really loved Mr. Chywski, and I had to live up to the expectation. Transitioning students from his teaching style to mine was a bit of an obstacle,” Corman said. 

Corman first decided he wanted to be a teacher when he was a freshman in high school. 

“Mrs. Walter was my teacher in ninth grade. She inspired me to become a teacher by creating a great space for students to learn and grow. I knew I wanted to have the same impact and create a welcoming space for people to be themselves and learn a bit along the way,” Corman said. 

Corman doesn’t just teach. He is involved with theatrical productions, skiing and snowboarding.  

“I am an avid ski and snowboarder. I am internationally certified to professionally coach both. I have worked as an instructor locally for 11 years now,” Corman said.

Although Corman loves teaching, he also has a love of Disney. During college he worked at Disney World for a period of time. When Corman retires, he plans to work at Disney World again. 

“When I retire from teaching, I look forward to working for “The Mouse” again,” Corman said. 

Corman graduated from Lock Haven University in 2021 before he took over for Chywski in October of 2022. 

Corman does all he can to make sure his students are comfortable and happy. Most importantly, he wants his students to know they matter and are worth it. 

“I value my students being themselves. I care about each and every student of mine. I want to continue to learn from my students, just as I hope they learn from me,” Corman said. 

Recently, Corman has implanted a cart full of hygiene items for his students to utilize. Corman believes taking care of personal needs and hygiene is important. 

“I have an assortment of lotion and hand sanitizer, pencils, personal hygiene supplies and more. I know that everyone forgets a hair tie, sanitary product and more sometimes, so I have the most commonly forgotten things ready for my students,” Corman said. 

Corman enjoys Altoona, but he states it is slightly different from where he went to school. 

“I went to school just north of here in Bellefonte. My high school was much more rural and was a bit smaller than Altoona. A lot is similar but a lot is also different. Having multiple cafeterias is wild to me,” Corman said. 

Corman loves the little moments in teaching. It never fails to bring a smile to his face. 

“The moments that stick out the most are the funny little things that happen that make the day more enjoyable. It makes me laugh every time somebody shouts out ‘That needs to go on the Corman Quote board’,”Corman said. 

Corman always has a piece of advice ready for his students. He ends each class with the same mantra: “Do good things.”

“My favorite quote is ‘Don’t try, succeed.’ I want my students to do good things in order to succeed,” Corman said. 

Corman doesn’t just encourage students to do good. He encourages them to do their work to the best of their ability. 

“Do your work and turn it in. You have to do both for the credit,” Corman said. 

Corman is no stranger to being the new teacher. He knows the challenges and issues new teachers can face. 

“You have to remember that you are new and will have an uphill battle no matter what you do, but the students will make it all worthwhile. I have faced the obstacle that I missed the first few weeks of school where students and teachers get to have a few days of fun activities to get to know each other. I am so sad I missed out on that. Switching the style of my classes to be more me instead of the teacher before me is also a big challenge,” Corman said. 

Corman cares about his students, not just as students, but as individuals. 

“I enjoy the little moments that remind me how much of a difference I make. I love helping my students when I can. For example, if a student invites me to a game or concert of theirs, I will go. I enjoy being able to help everyone be their best self,” Corman said.