12 seniors to observe heart surgery

Rebecca+Skebecks+Biomed+classes+will+be+observing+an+open+heart+surgery.+Skebeck+took+nine+seniors+last+year.+

Rebecca Skebeck

Rebecca Skebeck’s Biomed classes will be observing an open heart surgery. Skebeck took nine seniors last year.

Twelve seniors from biomedical classes will observe a heart surgery. This is the second year Allegheny General Hospital has invited students to watch a live surgery and is a part of the Allegheny General Hospital Open Heart Surgery Observation program.

The trip was originally part of the gifted students program, shortly after the start of the Biomed program, but it was passed down.

“I am very grateful because the trip fits in so perfectly with the Biomed curriculum and provides such a unique opportunity for the students in the program who plan to enter the medical field,” Biomed teacher Rebecca Skebeck said.

The observation room provides a view directly below to the operating table. There’s also a screen on the wall which shows close-up views of the procedure.

“The field trip starts with an early arrival to Allegheny General Hospital. Upon arrival, students meet with the education coordinator who will go over the details of the observation. Students will then proceed to the observation room. This is a unique room in which the students are able to look down on the surgery table from above through a glass window. During the procedure, the education coordinator stays in the room to walk students through the procedure and explain what they are viewing as well as answer any questions they might have. Last year we were lucky enough to have one of the retired heart surgeons join us in the surgery room and share a lot of amazing experiences with us,” Skebeck said.

The observation program was created in 2008 by Dr. George Magovern, Jr, who at the time, was the system chairman of the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery for Allegheny Health Network.

“This is the most difficult part of the trip and very stressful and heartbreaking for me. The observation room is small and can only accommodate a small group. Allegheny General Hospital limits schools to 12 students. I limit the trip to seniors only. Students have to be actively taking one of the Biomed courses. Students must have good grades, no missing work and no disciplinary issues,” Skebeck said.

The surgeon wears a camera and microphone, so students can see and hear what is going on as well as interact with the surgeon and ask questions.

“My favorite part of this trip is the student’s reactions. Their faces literally light up the moment they enter the room, and their noses stay pressed against the glass the entire time. Last year, the students did not want to leave and begged to stay a little longer. I love being able to witness their emotions and excitement,” Skebeck said.

Since the program started, more than 13,000 students have observed open heart surgery.

“This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I am fortunate enough to attend again this year. What makes the trip even more priceless is the fact I get to share the experience with my well deserving students. It’s enjoyable as a teacher to make these connections with students outside of the classroom. I cherish the memories I make with these groups every year,” Skebeck said.

Students from schools in western Pennsylvania, parts of Ohio and West Virginia have had the opportunity to experience this.

“I wanted to go on this surgery because I have always been fascinated with anatomy, medicine and surgical technique. For years now I wanted to observe surgery, and once I found out this was something that was offered to seniors during my sophomore year, I knew it was something I wanted to do,” senior Kaitlyn Ventre said.

The AGH Open Heart Surgery Observation Program belief is that if kids today had the chance to observe surgery, they might be inspired to pursue careers in health care.

“I think seeing this surgery will benefit me in that it will give a raw visual of medicine. I have been back and forth for years about whether or not medicine is something I would want to pursue, and I believe that this experience will help me make that final decision,” Ventre said.

This is an opportunity for high school students to see first hand the work that healthcare professionals do on a daily basis.

“The chance to experience this surgery will greatly benefit me in the future because it gives me an idea on what to expect while working in a possibly fast-paced environment with pressure on your shoulders. I feel as though this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to watch something while so young and eager,” senior Jaelyn Sipes said.

Students get a first hand look at how all health professional’s in the operating room, including nurse anesthetists, cardiovascular perfusionists, surgical technicians, surgical physician assistants and operating room nurses work together during a medical procedure.

“I feel it will be a great opportunity for me to get a better look at what happens behind the scenes in the medical field. I am most excited to watch the surgery and observe how the doctor and nurses interact with the patient,” Sipes said.