Madalyn Miller

Dedication Before events, the Lioneers practice in the science commons of the B building to perfect routines. On weekdays the team would stay from 3-4 p.m.

Devoted to dancing

March 31, 2023

During the 2022-2023 school year, the Lioneers performed at football games, basketball games and much more. Typically, the dance team would compete in competitions against other dance teams that resembled them; however this year that will not be taking place.  Yet many dancers continue to dance with private schools and to compete at that level.  Three of those dancers include Emma Peterman, Mia Noel and Annabella Fanelli.

Emma Peterman, senior 

Q: Who do you dance for? 

A: Altoona Dance Theater.

Q: How long have you been dancing?

A: This will be my fifteenth year.

Q: How long have you been competitively dancing?

A: 11 years. 

Q: How long have you been a Lioneer?

A: Since sophomore year. 

Q: What are the differences between competitive dancing, dancing for a studio and dancing at Lioneers? 

A: So in competitive dancing you’re at a higher level, you’re sort of at a higher standard because you are on the competition stage. Dancing for a studio is more fun than competition dance but when you dance for a studio, it’s more of a once or twice a week sort of thing. The Lioneers is actually sort of in the middle, you get the fun of just dancing for a studio but then you also get this standard of being with other competitive dancers.

Q: What makes you continue to want to dance?

A: This has always been a hard question for me, but honestly watching younger kids and the joy they get out of dancing and the joy I also still continue to get out of dancing.

Q: What is your favorite kind of dance?

A: I would have to say maybe jazz or lyrical.

Q: How would you compare dancing at dance competitions to dancing at a football game? 

A: Obviously you’re still striving to look your best and be your best, but you’re not being necessarily judged. You’re not given a score. You’re not given a trophy.

Q: What do you wish people knew about dancing in general?

A: That it is a sport and that we do a lot of the same conditioning as other sports do.

Q: Can you speak in general how a typical competition would work?

A: Generally very early mornings, very late nights. You’re up supporting your teammates at the crack of dawn, and you’re there dancing all day. Obviously, depending on the competition there are generally large breaks in between, especially during bigger competitions. So maybe you’ll have a couple numbers back to back and then you go have maybe a couple hour break and then you go into different categories of dance. So it’s split up categorically and then also by age

Q: Can you tell me about previous competitions?

A: Our first one this year was just a two day competition only on Saturday and Sunday. We went Saturday and did just a couple bigger of our group dances and then I had a duet that night. Then Sunday, we went back and did the same thing really, really late. We did very well there and some other girls like PBR girls like Emma Mussleman were also there. We got to see them. It’s kind of a cool environment to see our Lioneer friends and also a competitive environment.

Q: Can you tell me about your hopes for future competitions? 

A: I hope to continue to love what I do and finish out senior year with a bang.

Q: Is there anything you’d like to add?

A: It’s a fun experience, and I’m really glad that I chose to do Lioneers and continue to dance.

Annabella Fanelli, sophomore 

Q: Who do you dance for? 

A: I dance for a studio in Pittsburgh called Evolve Dance Complex.

Q: How long have you been dancing?

A: I’ve been dancing since I was probably one or two.

A: I have been competitively dancing since I was probably six years old.

Q: How long have you been a Lioneer?

A: Since my freshman year, at the end of eighth grade because that’s whenever we tried out for my whole high school career.

A: So dancing for a competition team is very different and also depends on what type of contest your team goes to. There are very prestigious ones with very famous people, so it’s more high end and then there are classes and everything. It’s very long and exhausting compared to going through a different studio where they just go, and you would do your dance in there. I have been competing in Lioneers, and we haven’t done any competitions yet, because we haven’t found the chance to. Being in Lioneers is very relaxing and just a fun way to dance with your friends and just show spirit for school.

A: I’ve been doing it since I was little and whenever I was younger, I wanted to be on Broadway. So I was fascinated with it. As I got older, obviously, I wanted other things, but dance is still such an important thing in my life. I’ve been through so much with it, and it hasjust caused me to grow into the person I am today. I feel like I want to dance in college.

Q: What is your favorite kind of dance?

A: I would say jazz.

A: A football game is definitely way less time because the feeling of being on the sidelines and everybody looking at you whenever we get a touchdown. Even though we have to dance that one dance for like 3000 years after we get a touchdown, watching the student section dance with you, cheer for you and yell your name is just really, really fun. Being a part of the team that stands in that section, dancing makes you feel so involved. It feels really great to be representing our school.

A: I wish people knew it is a sport and it is very, very hard and competitive. It’s also very fulfilling on the body and mind. It’s also as hard as any other sport like football or basketball.

A: My new competitions would be on Fridays. It’s normally from Friday through Sunday. On Fridays, there are solos and small groups. I have to wake up at 4 a.m. sometimes because [it’s] depending on your call time. You get all ready, you go down to a dressing room. You stretch and everything, go through routines, then you run yours [solo]. I love to perform. Then you have to wait. There’s call times that are at 10 or 11 at night. Next day you have to get up, the next classes are from 7 p.m. until 3 p.m. Then, you have all your groups after classes. Classes are when you learn from the judges and you perform for them. Then you compete until around 3:30 or 4 until maybe 11. Then you have awards and the next day, on Sunday. 

Q: Can you tell me about your previous competitions?

A: I’ve already been through a few competitions this year, and they’ve all been like this. They’re very long, and they take lots of hard work. They’re not something you can just get into. It is very hard if you’ve never done things like this. This is my second year going to these types of competitions, and it definitely took a lot of getting used to.

A: I really hope that there’s an audition this year, and I really hope that I can win an audition because you get many scholarships for that. You also get a chance to compete in a best dancer competition. You get just the recognition that sends you to our nationals. The nationals in Florida lets you compete against dancers from all over the United States.

Q: Is there anything you’d like to add? 

A: You don’t have to be a competitive dancer to be a dancer. There are many other ways you can get into dancing. Also, Lioneers is a great way to show spirit for your school, dance with your friends, try different styles of dance and become a dance team if you want to dance in college. It’s just a great way to dance with other people in the area because studios should be fun no matter if you’re a rebel studio. You should still be friends with those dancers and dance as a community, we don’t go against each other and the Lioneers brings people together.

Mia Noel, junior

Q: Who do you dance for? 

A: Pauline Baker Rodgers.  

Q: How long have you been dancing?

A: For 15 years now. 

Q: How long have you been a Lioneer?

A: Since I was 14.

A: In competitive dancing you have to devote a lot of time outside and work outside with people you’ve been with for years. You get to dance with people from all different studios and learn how other people learn. 

A: My friends and it’s just how I grew up. It’s all very important to me. 

Q: What is your favorite kind of dance?

A: I like all styles, but I really like jazz and hip hop.

A: At a football game, it’s a lot less stressful. You kind of just have fun. Competitions you can still have fun, but there’s still the time that we need to be serious and work together as a team.

A: It’s hard; it’s not just a hobby. It’s a sport too.

A: You wake up early, grab a coffee and you are at the venue all day watching and supporting your friends until you have to dance. It’s usually really late before you even get home.

A: I hope that my team does really well as a collective and not just separately.

Mountain Echo • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in