FCCLA club holds first soap, shampoo drive

Students+prepare+to+deliver+donated+hygiene+products.+The+FCCLA+club+collected+over+200+products.+

Cassidy Klock

Students prepare to deliver donated hygiene products. The FCCLA club collected over 200 products.

During a Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)  meeting in early March, adviser Jill Trumpbour and her participating students noticed a lack of hygiene product donations to elementary schools across the district. The students involved in the club prepared to make a change. 

From March 12 through April 5, the club collected over 200 items for elementary school students at Penn Lincoln. The most popular donated items were toothbrushes and toothpaste. 

“We are always looking for ways to help because our organization is about families and community. We thought we don’t have a lot coming up for our club, and we tossed some ideas around. We settled on the idea of the hygiene products drive. They always want to do things for children,” Trumpbour said. 

During the drive, there were two drop off locations students could bring their donations to: Trumpbour’s room and the attendance office. 

“We wanted a place in both buildings, and someone gave us the idea of the attendance office because many students go there in the morning anyway, so it is convenient,” Trumpbour said. 

According to Trumpbour, the club contacted Penn Lincoln, and they informed the club students are in need of hygiene products because many children who attend Penn Lincoln come from struggling families. 

“We believe hygiene products are overlooked in the community, as opposed to food banks and food drives being common,” Trumpbour said. 

Trumpbour began her journey as the FCCLA adviser during 2020. She has been advising the club for three years. 

“We are still trying to grow the club since I have started, but we have 16 students so far,” Trumpbour said. 

In the future, Trumpbour hopes for expansion of the club’s activity within the community and for more involvement by interested students. 

“We got a fair amount of donations, but I do still want to expand in the future. I believe in helping out everyone, but I think this was a great start,” Trumpbour said.