Students see Shakespeare show in State College

Marissa Kessler, Reporter

On Monday, March 25, English teacher Douglas Rosenberry, student teacher Caitlyn Lowe and students took a field trip to State College to see Penn State University’s rendition of Shakespeare’s The Winter’s Tale.  Their departure was at 5:30 p.m., and they returned around 11 p.m.  There were 5o seats available to any AAHS student, and 10 seats were filled on a first come first served basis.

Rosenberry, Lowe and students sat in the third row, which allowed for more interaction with the performers.  Some of the students had the ability to sit on stage, and Rosenberry joined them.

“I thought it was a great opportunity for students to see a Shakespeare play performed so that they could see how accessible Shakespeare still is centuries after he wrote his plays,” Rosenberry said.

During the intermission, they played music, and there was a concession stand that sold snacks. The play lasted about three hours and afterwards the students went to the Penn State Creamery.

“It was a good play and everyone enjoyed being able to sit on the stage,” attending senior Stephanie Conrad said.

Shakespeare’s The Winter’s Tale was first performed on May 11 in 1611.  The play is composed of five acts and 20 characters and depicts a story of redemption following jealousy.