School “constructs” new future for students, staff

Connor George

Constructions crews continue their work in the A building pushing toward and October completion date for the library.

KCBA Architects

Connor George, Reporter

Renovation in the A building has changed the dynamic of the school. Teachers have needed to change classrooms. The library has been temporarily closed down. Many students notice the construction in the hallways. 

So the questions arise- Where? When? What?

Don’t fret because those will all be answered!

Many are curious about the library.

According to principal Andrew Neely, “…the library should open in October, it will look a lot different…”

Librarian Tanya Lucas added, “We have a cyber-cafe coming, where kids can eat and work, and it’s going to have more of a Barnes and Noble feel than a high school library… and a Makerspace/ Incubatorspace so that students can work on projects and posters for clubs and events… also … bringing yoga and meditation to the library in the mornings.”

With plenty of changes coming, one thing will stay the same, it will still be in the A building where it was in previous years.

However, the library isn’t the only thing that has changed. Many classes are being moved around, some temporarily, others permanently. In fact, the A building will have a new numbering system by the time it’s completed.

“The A building… is being renumbered. We’re adding classrooms, and it wouldn’t make sense to keep the old system,” Neely said.

Teachers are also having to adjust to these changes. Some more than others.

“I’m giving them [most affected teachers] a little Gumby toy because Gumby is made of rubber and is very flexible,” Neely said.

One of the most affected teachers is James Krug, astronomy teacher and astronomy club director. He is in a temporary classroom (the old spinning room) in the A building while the planetarium is being renovated.

“Mr. Neely assured me over the summer that we would be in this regular classroom for the first few weeks,” Krug said. “I am excited about the fact that we’re not moving to the new building, I like the history around it; it was built in 1972. I am the second planetarium director… we’ve been able to keep it open for close to 50 years now.” 

Even though the construction is still in full swing, it did not affect the start of the school year.

Carpenter Ron Lazration stated, “…we’re mostly done in this building, so we’re able to work with the students real well.” 

Not only that, but students haven’t been affected too much by the construction.

“It hasn’t affected [my schedule] that much, it makes it a little bit more difficult to get from class to class,” senior student Sylas Crawford said.

Others have been concerned with health risks. However, according to school nurse Renee Weidlich the nurses haven’t seen much in the realm of making students ill or injured.

The entire construction has transformed the school. But there has been one saying that has stuck throughout the entire construction.

“I have a saying that I had from the beginning of this project, to make an omelet, you need to break some eggs. We won’t have an equal from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh,” Neely said.