Todd+Bennett

Courtesy of Todd Bennett

Todd Bennett

A recent addition to the Technology Education department is Todd Bennett. Bennett teaches Technology Education/STEAM with classes in the domain of robotics, mechanical design and architectural design. 

Bennett attended Penn State University and obtained both a BS in Information, Sciences and Technology and BA in Communication/Convergent Media. He also recently attended Point Park University for his teaching certification in ELA , obtaining his certification for Business, Computers and Information Technology. Bennett’s final goal is to receive his certification in Technology Education, something he is working toward as of now. 

Bennett was a student teacher at Hollidaysburg High School and did community service during his senior year of high school with the technology education department at Keith Jr. High. With all these years of learning and working, Bennett now has the opportunity to teach, something he has wanted to do for a long time.

“I knew during high school that I wanted to teach due to being taught by some amazing teachers–some of whom are still teaching within AASD. I am very excited to teach within the Altoona Area School District since I want to give back to both the community and district that shaped me to be who I am today. I’ve always been interested in building and creating things [and] not being afraid to try new things,” Bennett said.

With his classes, Bennett wants his classes to not only be a place for students to have fun with their creativity, but a place where students can learn skills that will help them in the future.

“I incorporate a lot of real world examples of how students will be able to utilize the skills that are taught within my curriculum for whatever they decide to pursue post graduation. I want to instill that creativity with the students that I teach and have them think outside of the box…” Bennett said.

While many teachers find online teaching restrictive, Bennett actually enjoys what online classes and virtual learning has to offer.

“I thoroughly enjoy the online teaching format since there are so many websites, tools and activities that will help students become more engaged while learning distantly. The background I have in IT/Communications actually made it a smooth transition for me over the last few months,” Bennett said.

For Bennett, the challenge isn’t necessarily the setup of online classes, but the communication with other students. However, Bennett tries his best to make the classes feel as normal as possible.

“One of the biggest challenges I have noticed is the loss of the social interaction with working with students over the online format. I try to incorporate distance activities that will allow students to still work together even if they are located apart from each other. Even though everyone is apart, we are still part of a ‘global village’ and can work together to persevere,” Bennett said.

When he’s not teaching, Bennett enjoys spending time with his family, building LEGOs with his children, photography and listening to music from the 90s.

Mountain Echo • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in