Blackie leads Mountain Echo staff

Editor in chief Ben Blackie joined Jocelyn Fetter and Layla Shelow for some fun participating in a Mountain Echo scavenger hunt.  Blackie tried on a police officer uniform as part of the challenge.

Layla Shelow

Editor in chief Ben Blackie joined Jocelyn Fetter and Layla Shelow for some fun participating in a Mountain Echo scavenger hunt. Blackie tried on a police officer uniform as part of the challenge.

Marin Cooney, Guest Reporter

Almost everyone reads stories to learn new information about the world and its happenings.  This is done to get a better understanding of current events.  It is known that there are people working long hours to bring readers  these stories, but most people fail to recognize those who make it all possible. 

There are many people involved in the making of a paper. One of these roles is the editor in chief. The editor of the school’s Mountain Echo paper is senior Benjamin Blackie. He is also a part of The Horseshoe yearbook staff.  Ben has been a part of publications since his freshman year. 

“During my first year as a part of news writing, my job was photography. I really enjoyed it, so I decided to stay in it through high school,” Blackie said.

Blackie’s brother introduced him to the world of publications since he had participated years prior. Aside from the editor in chief, there are many elements Blackie said contribute to the creation of a paper such as the people who influence it. 

“Many of us have been together for the past two years and have created a strong bond,” Blackie  said. “The environment is very lighthearted and fun.” 

A lighthearted environment is not the only thing that contributes to the creation of the paper. It’s also the person that guides the students who makes a difference. 

“Mrs. Vanish has a positive impact on being involved in yearbook and news writing. She’s always supportive of people’s ideas, and she always makes sure to create a positive environment for the class,” Blackie  said. 

All things considered, even if one has a passion for something, there can be things that are challenging.

“Something that has challenged me the most is doing interviews. With everything going on it has been increasingly difficult to get them done,” Blackie said. 

Especially now interviews have looked different as they’ve been over the phone instead of face to face. Despite these challenges, there are also strengths. Blackie described how one of his strengths is his communication skills. 

“I’ve become more willing to talk to people and that’s a huge part of publications, ” Blackie said.