Yearbook staff begins 2018 work

Waiting+patiently%0ASeniors+Samatha+Rolls+and+Kierra+Moist+capture+photos+as+a+train+travels+around+the+Horseshoe+Curve.++Students+rode+the+incline+to+the+top+and+had+a+long+wait+for+the+train.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Yearbook staff begins 2018 work

Waiting patiently
Seniors Samatha Rolls and Kierra Moist capture photos as a train travels around the Horseshoe Curve.  Students rode the incline to the top and had a long wait for the train.

Waiting patiently Seniors Samatha Rolls and Kierra Moist capture photos as a train travels around the Horseshoe Curve. Students rode the incline to the top and had a long wait for the train.

Wanda Vanish

Wanda Vanish

Wanda Vanish

Every yearbook for every school is a statement piece for the year. Students and teachers can look back at memories of sports games, school dances, pep rallies and many more important school moments. The Horseshoe does all that. This year, the book is getting a fresh start with a new adviser and multiple other changes. Wanda Vanish is the new adviser of the staff and has many new plans for the 2018 book.

The Horseshoe dates back all the way to the beginning of AAHS and has been here ever since.

“The biggest major change is that the book is going to be a spring book and that means it’s going to come out in May.  We’re planning a release party for the book and to have it out before the end of the year. So that means that there will be an supplement for the book that will be picked up in the summer and it will include things like graduation, prom and all of the spring sports,” Vanish said.

Every year the theme is developed for the book.

“Kierra Moist actually came up with the theme for this year, and we had a lot of brainstorming sessions for it. The theme is ‘Riding the A-Train.’ So we’re trying to tie in the idea of Altoona’s railroad history and the whole idea that we’re going on a journey, riding a train, your trip from kindergarten to now,”  Vanish said. 

This year the book is being published in May rather than September like previous years.

“The biggest benefit is that you can get signatures from your teachers and your friends, so you have it as a memento rather than just looking back at pictures as you get older,”  Vanish said.

The staff began work as soon as Vanish came to the high school and are already getting things done for the overall design.

“We’re getting ready to go on a field trip to the Horseshoe Curve, the Lemon House and the Railroaders Museum to try to get some pictures and incorporate them into the cover and into the design of the book,” Vanish said. 

New to the yearbook this year is that students or teachers can upload photos that they would like to see in the book.

“This year students can share photos to the book with the Herff Jones website. There are posters throughout the school and every student should have gotten a flier so that they know how to do it,” Vanish said 

The staff won’t complete their work for the book until the end of the school year for the supplement that include prom, graduation and other spring activities.

“I would also like them to know that the group of students work really hard to put together a product for the school and that anytime students have suggestions or anything that they would like to submit or talk about they can come or email me at anytime,” Vanish said. 

The link to submit photos is www.hjeshare.com. Use code mountainlion

• On the bridge Senior yearbook staff members capture train photographs from the downtown bridge. Students plan to use these images for the yearbook cover.

• More pictures Mackenzie Branter, Brenden Newberry and adviser Chris King capture more photographs at the Cruve. Students noticed the train graffiti and plan to incorporate that into the book.

• Steady hands Senior Kierra Moise uses the gate to steady her camera as she takes shots at the Horseshoe Curve. Moist created this year's book theme.

• Double checking Senior Mackenzie Brantner review photos from the Horseshoe Curve. Editing in the field helps when students upload photos later.