Together again: Graduates return for Alumni Band

Running the show. Brandon Kunder directs the Alumni Band during practice. Kunder was Larry Detwiler's student teacher in 2023 and is now the director of the Jr. High band.
Running the show. Brandon Kunder directs the Alumni Band during practice. Kunder was Larry Detwiler’s student teacher in 2023 and is now the director of the Jr. High band.
Madison Aboud

On Sept. 6, 275 past band members returned to their roots to participate in Alumni Band. For many, the night was an opportunity to meet up with old friends, play some band favorites, talk to old mentors and march with their children. 

David Aboud is a former Altoona High School  teacher. Although he isn’t an alumnus of the band, he announces for all home and away games. 

“Alumni Band night is always special,” D. Aboud said. “It’s an opportunity for graduates to meet up with old friends and relive memories from their high school years.”

Registration began at 2:00 p.m. and practice at 3:00 p.m. The Alumni Band played “Peter Gunn” and “Old Time Rock and Roll.” They concluded the performance with “Barnum and Bailey’s Favorite,” which was performed with the current marching band. 

William Mackaey is a 1957 alumnus of the band. Since he graduated, he has been at every single Alumni Band event. 

Living life to the fullest. 1957 Alumnus William Mackey talks with Larry Detwiler before practice. (Madison Aboud)

“I’m probably the oldest one here. I know I am. I’ve been coming back to every one [Alumni Band.] It is all about having fun. It’s great to be here. Sometimes, It’s great to be anywhere,” Mackey said. 

1990 graduate Jason Burkle has a special connection to this year’s Alumni Band. 

“It is always fun to perform with students I’ve had,” Burkle said. “Especially now since my son is playing. It is bittersweet with it being Mr. Detwiler’s last year. He was a student teacher when I was a senior in high school. So being there for his first year and his last year will be a lot of fun.”

D. Aboud had his two sons, Cory Aboud and Josh Aboud perform in the band during Alumni Band. 

“My two sons both came to Alumni Band night,” D. Aboud said. “It brought back many memories of working as parents to help the program. It was also special because my granddaughter is in the band now. Having them altogether was a memorable experience.” 

A family gathering. David Aboud poses with his sons Cory and Josh Aboud before the event began. D. Aboud announces for the band. (Madison Aboud )

Alexandria Hammel graduated in 2024 and came back for this year’s Alumni Band. 

“I’m nervous but very excited to be back. I’m excited to be back on the field with the band I love and know very well. What makes it most exciting is I’ve gotten my sisters to come back to support the band we all love and the band director,” Hamel said.

Sisterly love. Alexandria Hamel poses with her older sisters Morgan and Cassandra Hamel before performing halftime. (Courtesy of Alexandria Hamel.)
(Madison Aboud )

Valerie Grimminger is a sophomore in the marching band. This year was her first experience with Alumni Band. She loved the experience. 

“Alumni Band is a great way to get former Altoona High marching band members back together and performing as they once did before,” Grimminger said. “I think Alumni Band was fantastic this year and I look forward to joining in the future.”

Barnum and Bailey was performed during halftime by the Alumni and the current marching band. 

“It was a proud moment looking up at the press box and having the crowd cheering loudly while performing,” Grimminger said.

Happy times. Sophomore Valerie Grimminger smiles happily as she listens to the Alumni Band play. (Madison Aboud)
(Madison Aboud)

Bill Culp is a 1960 graduate. He has been to every Alumni Band. 

“It’s great every year…hopefully I’ll be able to make the next one, whenever that is. [I love] getting to play on the field. I haven’t gotten to do that since high school,” Culp said. 

Sophomore Ian Esper participated in Alumni Band night. He was able to accomplish a dream of his in the process.

“[the best part] was getting to march with my dad. It’s always been my dream to be on the field with him, so Alumni Band was a dream come true,” Esper said. 

The band’s back together. The Detwiler family poses for a photo to show off their T-shirts. (Madison Aboud )

This year marks Larry Detwiler’s last year as band director. For the past 25 years, Detwiler has led the band through competitions, trips and football games. Detwiler was emotional as he addressed current and past band members on field during the final  practice before the performance. 

“Thank you,” Detwiler said. “My job has never once felt like a job. Thank you.” 

Forging connections. Larry Detwiler talks with junior high band director Brandon Kunder during practice. Kunder directed two of the Alumni pieces. “Peter Gunn” and “Old Time Rock and Roll.”
(Madison Aboud)