Grace Dull and Preston Michelle take the floor at the Homecoming Assembly, held Thursday Sep. 27 in the gymnasium. Grace represented soccer this past week by participating in all events. The homecoming runners were announced and introduced as well. (Miranda Wertz)
Grace Dull and Preston Michelle take the floor at the Homecoming Assembly, held Thursday Sep. 27 in the gymnasium. Grace represented soccer this past week by participating in all events. The homecoming runners were announced and introduced as well.

Miranda Wertz

Homecoming week continues until Friday

October 3, 2018

Homecoming is in full swing this week. Candidates, students and homecoming committee members have been preparing since the end of last school year.

“Our biggest event is games night, so we had to start pulling game ideas. We also had to test them to make sure they work. We have to get a committee together and start taking applications[before summer],” Homecoming Committee President Jamya Veloz said.

Theme week started Monday, Oct. 1 and continues to Friday, Oct. 5.  The themes include: nerd, flannel, 80’s workout, PJ’s and holiday. Homecoming Committee encourages everyone to participate in theme week.

“ We are trying to get the whole school to dress up,” Veloz said.

The Homecoming dance is Thursday, Oct. 4. Tickets will be sold in the school store for $5 starting Monday, Oct. 1, up until the morning of the dance. Tickets will also be sold at the doors; however, students are not recommended to wait due to construction in the lobby.

The dress code is semi-formal with the theme being gold and sparkles. Students should wear dresses and formal wear; jeans and sneakers are to be avoided.

“For the dance you need your ticket and ID,” Veloz said.

This year there are 18 candidates, making the grand total 36 candidates including escorts. Each Homecoming candidate is given a list of tasks to complete as well as a grading rubric. Candidates can earn points by completing tasks on time and by getting creative. Some of these include making a sash and poster, participating in theme days, placing in games night or skits and the popular vote. Students can help support runners by voting and placing money in their candidates bucket.

Homecoming winners receive a scholarship, crown, sash and of course bragging rights. Placements will be announced Friday, Oct. 5 at Mansion Park.

Mountain Echo • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in