Teaching+Up+Alyssa+Weidlich+teaches+her+sophomore+honors+English++class.+Weidlich+returned+to+AAHS+to+teach+after+being+a+former+student.+She+is+happy+to+be+back+to+the+school+that+feels+like+home+to+her.+

Olivia McMinn

Teaching Up Alyssa Weidlich teaches her sophomore honors English class. Weidlich returned to AAHS to teach after being a former student. She is happy to be back to the school that feels like home to her.

Alyssa Weidlich

Q: Where did you go to high school and could you describe your high school experience?

A: I actually went to high school here, at Altoona, and I definitely had a really great experience at the school.

Q: How have the first few weeks of school gone for you?

A: Things have been pretty overwhelming at times. I feel like we are starting to settle back into the process of having in person classes, having face to face instruction, and so I think everyone is slowly settling back in.

Q: Could you describe your prior teaching experience? 

A: I student taught here at Altoona and last year I was a substitute teacher for the year at Bellwood Antis High school. I taught English there as well.

Q: What got you interested in the subject you teach and what was your favorite growing up?

A: I’ve always loved writing, reading and all the topics that go along with English, so I thought it would be a great way to incorporate that into my career.

Q: What brought you to Altoona to teach? 

A: I felt at home here, and I completed my student teaching here. It felt natural for me to come back to Altoona as a teacher.

Q: What inspired you to become a teacher? 

A: All of the great teachers I had throughout my experience here and the way they have inspired me. I want my students to be inspired to read and write just like my teachers inspired me

Q: What would be a suggestion you have to make AAHS better? 

A: My suggestion would be to incorporate more extracurricular activities, because there are a lot right now, but I feel like there could be more of a wide range that could incorporate more students.

Q: If you could teach another subject what would it be and why?  

A: I would say theater. I’ve been in theater, drama club and theatrical productions my whole life.

Q: What is your go to snack or lunch item to bring with you to school?

A: Carrots and peanut butter.

Q: If you could choose one fast food restaurant to be in the school cafeteria what would it be?

A: Taco Bell.

Q: Who has been the most help to you as you have started this new job?

A: All of my fellow members of the English department, Mr. Chywski and Mrs. Hetrick, my mentor. 

Mountain Echo • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in