Masks should be optional

Mykenzi Doran

Masking Up Physical education teachers Julie Schmoke and Megan Yingling talk with a student during the first day of school activity fair. Masks were optional for students at the start of the school year but are now mandatory unless a mask exemption is submitted to administration.

Kelcie Kenney, Contributor

Dear Editor, 

Today I would like to go over a topic that many people have opinions about. When it comes to what I’m about to talk about or any topic in general. I feel everyone should have the right to get their opinions across. But I would like to go over how I feel about masks and Covid-19 vaccines.

Personally from what I’ve heard and seen I would never have the intention of getting the vaccine, but I’m not against people who have gotten it or are going to. There have been more issues since the vaccine came out then there was before it was available. There have been so many stories of so many different things happening to people who get it. To be honest, it is scary having to live in a pandemic like this and not know what’s the right or wrong choice to make.

I also feel like masks should be an option overall. Being told to wear it in certain places and in school gets annoying. It’s your choice and you decide whether you want to “protect” yourself or not. It also makes no sense that half the people that still have the vaccine still are required to wear a mask, so what was the point of the vaccine? So many teens feel uncomfortable having to wear a mask. A lot of teens just decide to go virtual because of all the chaos. I also don’t understand that people with the vaccine are still required to quarantine. That should be optional whether they feel they need to quarantine or not. Overall this society has gone downhill when it comes to Covid and so many people are shamed or feel some type of way about you depending on what choices you make about the pandemic.

Kelcie Kenney