High school orchestra offers help to junior high

Maddie Miller

A Helping Hand, On Tuesday, Jan. 11, the high school students assist the elementary school kids in the band room.

Olivia Wilt, Guest Reporter

Until March of 2022, the high school orchestra students will be demonstrating their instruments for the middle schoolers. Every Tuesday night the middle schoolers come to the high school to learn and take in the high schoolers’ experience. Kelly Detwiler is the high school orchestra director. 

Detwiler wants to show the younger orchestra students what to expect from the high school music program to not only learn from them but be prepared to work like these experienced students. 

This program isn’t only physically helpful for the younger students, but gives them a friend. The high school band members help tune their instruments, teach them the fingering and even just sit with them to give a deeper connection to each other. 

“For the junior high students what to expect and prepare for,” Detwiler said. 

“The big thing is the high school students help play the examples of the music because it’s been just a crazy couple of years; the elementary kids are having a hard time continuing on.”

Thursday, March 3, 2022 at 7:00 a clock in the auditorium, a concert will take place. The high school, junior high and the elementary orchestra group will all perform. 

“For the elementary schools this will be their first concert they ever played, so it’s a really big deal for them and mentally that really psychs them up, and they get really excited about playing,” Detwiler said.

In addition to the practice time and concert, each high school orchestra player gets a penpal in the elementary school. They can meet at the concert by giving a card or something to just give the elementary kids something to be excited for.

Many of the students are happy to share their experiences with the younger students.

“It’s really cool because you get to see where they have started and seeing them grow in a short amount of time is an amazing experience,” sophomore Sarah Saylor said.