Harris+is+a+special+education+teacher.+She+is+reading+the+paper+to+her+students+while+sitting+in+her+mini+setup+with+the+sign+and+the+flowers+on+the+table+next+to+a+couch.+

Abigail Rudy

Harris is a special education teacher. She is reading the paper to her students while sitting in her mini setup with the sign and the flowers on the table next to a couch.

Rachel Harris

Q: What’s the best advice you’ve been given about teaching?

A: I would say understanding the first year is a little bit more challenging than the rest of the year.

Q: What made you choose to teach at AAHS?

A: I applied for special education positions, and the position was open here for life skills. So that’s how that happened. It’s not like I necessarily applied specifically to this building: It was more like I was looking for a specialized position.

Q: When was the moment you realized you wanted to be a teacher?

A: I would say a couple of months after I started to be an aid, and I got to be really close with the student I was with. I’m just like watching them progress and I was like, yeah, I definitely could do this.

Q: What is your favorite part of teaching so far? Why?

A: My favorite part of teaching is watching the kids be successful because that’s exactly what I wanted to do.

Q: Who inspired you to become a teacher?

A: My long term mentor. She definitely helped me through my college career for sure.

Q: What college did you go to?

A: Grand Canyon University.

Q: What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

A: In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my husband and my cat whose name is Lightning.

Q: Why did you choose the subject that you are teaching?

A: Well, for me, I didn’t exactly choose those. I chose special education specifically because I just felt more comfortable and more passionate about teaching special education.

Q: As a student, I know I tend to get nervous for the first weeks of school. As a teacher in a new school, do you feel that sense of nervousness you once felt as a student?

A: Definitely a mixture of really happy that I finally achieved my career goal. However, I mean, it was mostly happy, but also really nervous because there were some kids I didn’t know. So I was not entirely sure what to expect.

Q: Is there something you would want to do during your teaching career? Ex: coaching a sport, head of a club etc.

A: I actually am a part of a club now of Circle of Friends because Mrs. Ainsworth is going to be going on maternity leave. They asked me if I would help out Miss Madison.

Mountain Echo • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in