Jason+McKenzie+taught+his+sophomore+academic+English+class+about+the++Pit+and+the+Pendulum+during+the+first+weeks+of+school.+During+third+period+he+worked+on+his+computer.++++

Eva Drumm

Jason McKenzie taught his sophomore academic English class about the Pit and the Pendulum during the first weeks of school. During third period he worked on his computer.

Jason McKenzie

Q: What’s the best advice you’ve been given about teaching?

A: I think the best advice I have been given about teaching is to keep your  focus on the kids and assuming it’s all about them. 

Q: What made you choose to teach at AAHS? 

A: I wanted to work a large and diverse student body. 

Q: When was the moment you realized you wanted to be a teacher?

My eleventh grade year, I had an English teacher that really inspired me.

Q: What is your favorite part of teaching so far? Why?

A: I really enjoy seeing the kids have the Aha moment, when you see everything finally click. Helping them get there to that point.

Q: Who inspired you to become a teacher?

A: Mr. Shoe my eleventh grade year 

Q: What college did you go to?

I got my undergraduate degree at Arizona State University and my graduate at Mississippi University 

Q: What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

A: I enjoy reading, running and listening to my record collection. 

Q: Why did you choose the subject that you are teaching? 

A: I believe that English is an important subject because it is really how to communicate and how to think. 

Q: As a student, I know I tend to get nervous for the first weeks of school. As a teacher in a new school, do you feel that sense of nervousness you once felt as a student? 

A: There’s a little bit but for the most part, it’s my tenth year teaching, so I am not that nervous. Going to a new school district I certainly am.

Q: Is there something you would want to do during your teaching career? Ex: coaching a sport, head of a club etc.

A: When I was at Philipsburg I coached cross country and track, so I am hoping to do that at Altoona. 

Mountain Echo • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in