Handwriting, cursive should be taught in high school

Pencils+up.+Different+students+show+their+handwriting+skills+on+their+schoolwork.+Messy+or+neat+writing%2C+they+still+do+all+of+their+work+and+write+with+their+handwriting+skills.+

Abigail Rudy

Pencils up. Different students show their handwriting skills on their schoolwork. Messy or neat writing, they still do all of their work and write with their handwriting skills.

Handwriting and cursive should be taught more in classrooms, but more specifically, in high school classrooms. Kids are only taught cursive writing in elementary school, and many high school students have bad handwriting because they only teach it in preschool, kindergarten and elementary schools, but they don’t teach it in junior high or in high school.

Kids mostly learn how to write in preschool and kindergarten. They can either write neatly or messy. Some kids, as they age, realize they need to write neatly in order to be able to have their writings read; however, other kids think their handwriting can be read by others just because they can read their own.

Most kids only know how to write their names in cursive once they get into high school. Not many elementary students will remember all of the cursive letters going into high school. Nothing they have learned can stick with them unless they practice outside of school, if their parents are teaching them or if they take the time themselves to practice and learn it in their free time.

Handwriting can be hard to learn for some, but for others it comes easy. They are able to write neatly on different things. Many people struggle with their handwriting. Teachers will teach handwriting by making students trace over letters on paper one letter at a time. The same goes for cursive writing. It can be hard, but some students can easily pick up on cursive writing. Many students will write only in cursive for a while, so they know it better. Others will end up giving up on it because it can be tricky to learn it as a kid in elementary school. It can be hard to learn the capital letters and lower case letters of cursive and for it all to stick in their minds.

Elementary students and high school students are extremely different. Students who are in elementary school have fewer responsibilities than high school students. High school students have more activities dealing with handwriting and cursive writing.

A reason why they should teach handwriting and cursive in high school and not just in elementary school is because high school students have more needs for using and reading it. High school students need to be able to sign papers for many things, and they need to be able to write their names in cursive for their signature on different forms and papers.

Many high schoolers will be able to drive and need to buy a car. They need to be able to sign their names in cursive and be able to write their other information in print on different forms, they need to have legible handwriting to write their other stuff, they need to be able to write and sign papers for banks, savings accounts and other paperwork.

Teachers need to be able to read students’ handwriting, but if they can’t read it, then they will fail the students because they can’t understand their writings. This isn’t the student’s fault because they only learned it when they were young and in elementary school. It isn’t fair how they expect students to learn how to have good handwriting when they only were taught it in preschool and kindergarten. That’s another reason why they should teach it again in high school, not just in elementary school, preschool and kindergarten.

These days there are many technologies that can be used to write and spell. No one writes letters anymore, nor do they use cursive writing anymore. In high school every student has a Chromebook they use to do all of their work. They have no need to write or do anything on paper unless their teacher makes them do their work on paper and not on a Chromebook. They have no use for cursive either because they are mainly on their Chromebooks. Many people think it is pointless to learn handwriting and cursive again because everything is online nowadays, but that’s not all true. Many people still use paper. In school teachers still use paper copies of their lessons, and the students need to write on it in their handwriting. Teachers are having trouble with reading their students’ handwriting and that causes teachers to move their lessons online.

When the teachers use the Chromebooks and online work it causes students to continue to lose their skills of having good handwriting and their skill to write cursive. If people don’t practice something for a while, they tend to forget how to do it.

It is important to teach older students how to have good handwriting and cursive because they need it more than they ever did in elementary school when it was taught. Even though most things are online nowadays, it is still important to have these skills in writing and be able to have neat handwriting.