Sydney Wilfong

Get into the holiday spirit! The band plays their song Jingle Bell Jam while marching in the holiday parade on Thursday Nov. 29. Many people attended the parade to see the marching band and other clubs as well.

Marching band participates in holiday parade

November 30, 2018

Snowy weather, cold mornings, holiday lit evenings and enjoying a delicious cup of hot chocolate while wrapped in a soft blanket are all reminders that the holidays are here, and in Altoona, the holiday spirit kicks into high gear with events such as the holiday parade.

On Thursday Nov. 29, the marching band participated in the holiday parade in Downtown Altoona. This year, the band was the first division of the parade, led by band director Larry Detwiler and senior drum major Ian Brannan.

Although most band members are counting down the days until holiday break, the seniors are especially cherishing the moments of their last holiday parade in Altoona.

“I’ll definitely miss the holiday parade. Marching in parades gives me something to do, and it also gives me the ability to talk to all of my friends I have here,” senior Cameron Faust said.

Sydney Wilfong
Winter break is coming close!
Ben Neil marches in the holiday parade while celebrating the holidays that are soon to come.

For some of the band members, the holiday parade was a perfect way to bring happiness into their day.

“The holiday spirit was everywhere! I love seeing the people gathered around during the parade. Mr. Detwiler walks with the band and you can always see him greeting the people on the side. It makes me happy!” sophomore Emily Latten said.

Some students at the high school participate in other clubs that allow them to actually join in the parade procession itself.

Sophomore Mia Nelson is involved with the Blair Dance Company and participated in the holiday parade.

“I’m very excited!! I love throwing the candy to the kids but my favorite thing is to listen to the band. I love them! They put me in the Christmas spirit!” Nelson said.

The marching band played their holiday anthem, “Jingle Bell Jam,” for the parade. During the school day, the band constantly practiced this song, hoping to perfect it for the parade.

“Nothing gets the city of Altoona more excited for the holiday than the Altoona holiday parade,” Brannan said.