Athletes, coaches talk about off season time

Athletes+and+coaches+take+a++break+from+the+season+and+partake+in+various+activities+to+keep+them+healthy.++

made with Canva

Athletes and coaches take a break from the season and partake in various activities to keep them healthy.

Taking a break from the athletic season, athletes do various activities to keep themselves entertained.

Sophomore Logan Meyers has been playing baseball for the school since seventh grade. Prior to joining the school team, he played since he was five years old. 

During the off season, Meyers keeps himself ready for the season by going to the gym, eating healthy and training. 

“I practice four times a week, and I lift about six times a week. I practice and I go through some throwing progressions to get my arm stronger and keep my body healthy,” Meyers said. 

When the season comes to an end, Meyers is disappointed but sees this as his opportunity to strengthen himself for the upcoming season. However, he is excited when the season resumes again.

“I’m a little disappointed when the season is over but I know it’s time for me to get better and stronger in the off season. When the season starts, I feel good, I get baseball ambition, get my cardio better and get used to the baseball season,” Meyers said.

After high school, Meyers wishes to continue playing in hopes to get a college scholarship and play at the collegiate level. 

“Baseball is a big passion of mine, and I know I’ll enjoy it more if I’m better at it. I want to continue to play for further years,” Meyers said. 

Sophomore Colton Chathams has been playing soccer for ten years. He decided to join the team in junior high and has played for the school ever since. 

“I try to play soccer with my club team, and I try to get to the gym to keep in shape for the upcoming season,” Chathams said. 

Chathams feels excitement when the new season starts. 

“I feel good and excited because I have a lot of ambition to help the team. I want to have a good year and do good. It’s sad when the season ends, but I know that I have other things to do in the off season to get ready for the next season so I can improve,” Chathams said. 

Chathams wishes to continue playing soccer in further years. 

“I want to come back and better myself for the next season and make myself a better player,” Chathams said. 

Coach John Chesney has been coaching the Altoona football team for 33 years. He also has previously coached Keith Junior High School, Roosevelt Junior High School and Altoona Area Junior High School. Along with football, Chesney also coaches the seventh and eighth boys’ track team. To keep himself busy in the off season, Chesney works out at the gym, lifts weights, does cardio and paints around the house.

“This is because I’m so used to after school not getting home until six, seven p.m. from practice, so that’s my normal routine,” Chesney said.

Chesney admits to missing coaching when the season is over, and he believes during August of this upcoming year things are going to be different.

“When the season is over, I miss it. For the past 33 years, every single August I’ve been coaching football, so this August when it comes around, I know it’ll feel different. In the off-season, not that I did a whole lot in the off-season, but Coach Nedimyer is there every week with the kids three days a week. He’s there with the kids who don’t play winter sports especially. Now I coach track in the spring, so when March rolls around I’m back into coaching mode,” Chesney said.

Chesney’s favorite sport to coach is football. He coached basketball for 18 years, but stopped ten years ago due to the fact it was too much for him.

“I think football would be my favorite sport to coach because I like the camaraderie with the players, the building of the team and trying to come up with a plan to beat the opponent’s tactics based on their weaknesses. It’s just fun. It’s enjoyable,” Chesney said.

There isn’t much of an off season in track according to Chesney. He believes out of the sports he coaches, football has a more difficult off-season. 

“There’s really not much of an off-season in track but a lot of planning and preparation for football season. For the most part, they’ll pick up in the summer. Some kids just love football. They’re there every day. Some kids just don’t want to show up. The season starts in August, and they’re kind of a little bit farther behind the other players. It’s tough for kids because it’s a true commitment. Being there year round from starting in January through November, it’s a long season,” Chesney said.

After coaching football and track for 33 years and adding basketball for 18 years, Chesney has come to the conclusion that he is retiring at the end of the 2023 school year. 

“ I just enjoy coaching, it’s been a good run and it’s time to move onto something else. My wife and I will probably move to Florida. That’s the plan. We’ll see if that works out,” Chesney said.